Sequencing & samples - outboard vs. plugin

I've been sequencing drums & keys within ProTools for a decade now, and no matter what I do to lower sampling rates, there is always a little more lag than I'm comfortable with. In the absence of 8 grand or more for a badass clock, I'm wondering if outboarding the sequencing and sound module component would yield any dividends on the timing front.

Any of you have thoughts on outboard vs. plugin sequencing/sampling? Opinions on usability, accuracy, and general quality are welcome.

(current plugins are SampleTank 1 & 2 and Reason)

The only outboard sequencing I've done is on my Roland R-5 Human Rhythm Composer drum machine, which was very clunky & limited. Trying on my Alesis QS7.1 keyboard was too confusing... yeah, older stuff and that's probably why.
Personally I find sequencing within a computer DAW on my 24" wide screen LCD display much more intuitive, and much easier to deal with and better tools to work with than I've known with my limited outboard sequencing experience.

I've never sampled anything myself, though I have taken an audio part I've recorded with my DAW and splice it up & reused/placed repeated parts...not the same thing, but that's about as close as my needs go to 'sample'.

As far as plug ins, and the same go's for VSTi's, I've done outboard FX's , especially in my Tascam days, not not much since I begann to work with a DAW. As far as using instrument sounds, I'm set up to use my keyboard/synth, and a couple of outboard midi sound modules, as well as an entire other DAW computer that I use as a dedicated VSTi machine...so in a way, I do all my virtual instruments outside my main audio DAW machine. Though I use my dedicated VSTi machine pretty much exclusively, while the outboard sound modules often sit waiting to be used when if needed for a sound I just can't find within the VSTi machine.

That's the best I can respond to the topic ;)

Back