seperate midi interface used with a recording interface?

twangbuck

Ok, so let's say I'm running a Zoom R8 or R16 into my windows 7 pc (32 bit) to use as an audio interface. My recording software is Cubase LE.
The Zoom has no midi, so let's say I want to send midi messages to my drum machine to control when it starts and stops. The drum machine (alesis sr-16) would be hooked up through the zoom via 3/4".
How do I hook up midi between my drum machine and my computer to send start/stop messages via cubase if the zoom has no midi in's or outs'?
Do I get a separate midi/usb interface to use just for the drum machine? Is it possible to have both the zoom r16 and the midi interface hooked up via 2 different usb ports at the same time? If so, how would cubase know which usb port to send the start/stop messages through?

If you use a midi controller as a 'controller', you connect it via USB, and select it/setup within Cubase as a controller. You can use multiple controllers at once. It is not a MIDI throughput that does this, it is Cubase that would use the USB inputted devices, and control there input. Not sure how that would work in reverse tho....

If you wish to record the output of a device, then use the analog outs.

I am confused, as to what you mean by "The drum machine (alesis sr-16) would be hooked up through the zoom via 3/4". Did you mean 1/4" inputs?

I am actually curious how this works. It seems like that is what an interface with MIDI, may be needed for.

I guess
alesis >> 1/4 >>> Zoom >>> Cubase will be the only option.
Because Alesis does not have USB and Zoom got no Midid.
A foot switch can be hooked up to alesis far extra controls if you have.

To the original question: while I don't know Cubase LE, you should be able to use a MIDI interface plugged into another USB port. There are quite a few boxes that are just MIDI interfaces, e.g. the MOTU Fastlane.

As to how Cubase would know which one to use, there should be someplace to specify that in some menu somewhere. It should know it can't use the Zoom box in any event.

I assume that 3/4" is a just a typo for 1/4"

To the original question: while I don't know Cubase LE, you should be able to use a MIDI interface plugged into another USB port. There are quite a few boxes that are just MIDI interfaces, e.g. the MOTU Fastlane.

As to how Cubase would know which one to use, there should be someplace to specify that in some menu somewhere. It should know it can't use the Zoom box in any event.

I assume that 3/4" is a just a typo for 1/4"

That's, right, sorry! It should have been 1/4".
I would think cubase would give the option of designating which device is being used for midi.
I'll have to experiment with that.

Midi is a relatively slow protocol and doesn't care.
It's not like an asio audio interface that demands one and only one device driver.

I use a Midisport usb 2x2 for my main keyboard, a M-audio Keystation49 via usb and a wx-5 windsynth hooked up to the midi port of my Motu828mkII simultaneously with no problems.

Get a MIDIsport MIDI I/O and use MIDI-OX to control the ports.

I had problems trying to use multiple MIDI devices over USB in XPPro and Sonar. My solution was to stick to the MIDIsport interface and use DIN cables for connecting MIDI controllers and other synths.

You'll need to specify in Cubase which MIDI port and channel to send/receive MIDI messages on. It's also possible to set up Cubase to start and stop when you hit "play" on the drum machine via MIDI Machine Control.

Back