Send midi between Mac and PC

Dans Klimkowski

Hi, I have a midi foot pedal (kmi soft step) and want to make it trigger midi events on both a mac and a pc, could you please help?

On the mac, I want it to control functions in the ableton looper and on the pc i want it to control basic scrolling up and down functions (triggered with midi via autohotkey). Currently, the foot pedal is connected to a usb 3 hub that connects to the mac.

I understand that this is possible with a hardware midi interface like the ones that iconnectivity make because they can connect to two computers simultaneously. But I can do this without a hardware midi interface, right? I figure that i must be able to, even if it just works in the way that the midi received by the mac also immediately triggers a new midi message that is sent to the pc. I just don’t know what software would be used for this.

So, how can i make the midi foot pedal device affect both computers at once without a hardware interface? What software/setup would be needed to make this happen? Also, would it work as reliably/consistently as a hardware interface?

Thanks!

We, well musical son mostly, did something like this with two PCs. The controller was an Evo eKeys49 and was connected to one PC via USB*. The EK49 also has a DIN out port which fed a second PC via a MIDI port on a 2496 PCI card. Thus son could play two instruments at once and record the MIDI data to one track of Samplitude and both audio tracks.

But, I cannot understand your resistance to a MIDI equipped interface? Rampant potlessness perhaps? Unlikely for the owner of a PC AND a mac?!! Thus served you could I am sure do a variation on my kludge above. Mind you, some timings might need tweaking.

*Also powered the kbd and bonus, the PC was set such that USB power was present even when off so son only needed to boot one machine up to play a toooon!

Dave.

Back