Seeking Advice on Buying New System

jeaston

This is a request for specific information, but being directed to previous posts where the general answers already are would be much appreciated as well.

I want to buy a PC computer system to do the following things: 1)record an acoustic jazz band (piano, bass, trumpet saxophone, occasional drums) via microphones (don't have those yet either) direct to hard disk. Four mike inputs would be sufficient (which is why I was attracted to the Echo Mona sound card the last time I looked into this subject--no mixer needed). No midi will ever be needed. 2)Do minimal multitracking such as record a bass track first for later overdubbing with piano. 3)Edit the tracks (though no special effects beyond adding a little reverb will ever be required) and burn CD's to use as demos or perhaps as masters for CD production. 4)Use the computer in conjunction with my home stereo system to record from LP's, cassette tapes etc and to transfer music from those media onto CD's. 5)Run software such as Slowgold in order to slow down tracks on CD's and listen to them and save slowed-down tracks to CD's or wav files. 6)Use a remote control device to control various recording functions if such a thing is possible (so I could sit at the piano and hit a remote control button to start recording. 7)Use the same computer for non-music functions such as connecting to the internet--but only if such a "non-dedicated" use is recommended.

I need to know what kind of computer to buy (minimum requirements, etc) and what the cheapest way to do it is. In the past I have bought computers at marked-down prices as the faster systems were coming out. Do you have to buy the components all separately and have someone put it together for me or can I go out and buy a prepackaged computer deal? Which Windows operating system should it run, assuming I am not interested in getting overly fancy if I can avoid it?

The other question I have is: any suggestions for the least expensive multitrack (4 mike inputs) PORTABLE digital recording device that I could use to record to some digital medium (and then later be able to transfer into my computer system for editing, making CD's etc).

Thank you.

Back