S.M.A.R.T. for my HD

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
Can someone tell me what this is? and wether I should disable or enable it? thank you.

ametth

Ummmmmmm....this is really not a computer forum per se. Please don't be offended if your thread here is closed down by Dragon because of the impertinence of it. But here is your answer.

That is some technology that is supposed to tell you when a part of the hard drive has phsical damage, and as I recall, will keep you from doing even more damage to it. I have mine disabled and haven't had any problems. It would seem that you will never have any troubles with hard drive damage if you are using a good quality drive, and the motherboard is decent.

Hope this helps.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Seeing as how hard drive efficiency is an important factor to consider when recording with a PC, I would think that any questions of this sort are more than appropriate in this forum.

S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (I think). SMART will let you know if your hard disk is operating within its parameters, and warns you when things get freaky.

As far as I know, to use SMART, you're drive will need to be SMART (e.g. MOST Western Digital drives), and your motherboard will have to be SMART enabled, AND you are required to have some sort of hardware monitoring software such as EZSmart by StorageSoft.

If your drive isn't SMART then don't enable it on the mobo. If you have no monitoring software and don't want to run any, don't enable SMART on the mobo.

Over the past 5 years I have seen no less than 6 "newish" hard drives bite the dust. It might have been coincidence, but most of them were Western Digital. If running SMART software does not degrade the performance of your hard drive (as far as recording is concerned), then you might consider using it. There would be nothing worse than receiving the old "invalid system disk" error on a drive that contains your life's work :(

If you backup consistantly, however, then I wouldn't worry about it.

(I kind of looked into this crap a while back and it looks like this SMART monitoring software requires a BIOS level (or pre-OS) driver....anyone who remembers the DOS days when you were required to use similar software to use those newfangled HUGE 850MB hard drives knows that they're not much fun to work with)

Slackmaster 2000

Back