Routing question(s)

pdlstl

Below you can view my theoretical routing setup for the gear I currently use.

I need to know if this setup will give me 10 inputs which will hit the DAW at the same time and come out of the DAW into the 828mkII and then on to the Central Station with either no latency or at least latency which is equal across all 10 inputs.

All inputs are audio. No MIDI.

Thanks.

*On edit - This will allow me to use the 2 pre's in the MOTU, the individual pre's coming from the Avalon and Great River and the XDR's in the Mackie. Correct?

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 45
your hardware wont really be the problem, as much as how fast your computer is. That will be be the biggest problem I think.

If you are using CueMix DSP to monitor the inputs of the 828, you will have just about zero latency.
If you have the output of CueMix muted and are using input monitoring via your recording software, you may experience some latency depending on buffer settings, driver choice and processing power of your computer.
If you don't intend to do any live input processing (using/monitoring plugin effects while recording), just use CueMix for your monitoring and not input monitoring via the recording program.
Other than that ..... your diagram looks fine. Get you an 8 channel ADAT preamp and you'll have 18 channels hitting the DAW at the same time. :cool:

-Edit- You can just run the main out's of the MOTU to the Central Station seeing as how you are just using the Mackie for it's preamps. The 828 and CueMix will act as your monitoring mixer. Just bear in mind that CueMix offers no level attenuation over the signals hitting the converters. The converters on the 828 are kind of on a virtual pre-fader direct out of CueMix. Level attenuation will need to be set via the individual gain controls of each preamp and monitored via the meters within your DAW program.

Thanks folks!

3.0Ghz P4 800 FSB with a gig of Ram.
60Gb 7200, partitioned, interal
120Gb 7200, unpartitioned, internal

If you are using CueMix DSP to monitor the inputs of the 828, you will have just about zero latency.

How would I set this up? I'm not using CueMix only because I'm not sure how to use it.

If you don't intend to do any live input processing (using/monitoring plugin effects while recording), just use CueMix for your monitoring and not input monitoring via the recording program.

I use my studio mostly for acoustic tracking and need to be able to record one or more sources while also monitoring tracks which have already been recorded. I can do this now but feel like there may be more flexibility which I'm not taking advantage of. Or...maybe I've got right just like it is.

Make sense?

*On edit - Level attenuation will need to be set via the individual gain controls of each preamp and monitored via the meters within your DAW program.

This is how I handle the attenuation on the XDR's now. Obviously, I do this with the M5 and Great River also. Since I'm at work and haven't used the pre's in the 828 yet, do those two inputs have trim?

CueMix is pretty straight forward and explained to some extent in the manual.
Just think of the 828mkII as a rack-mountable 8 bus (4 stereo bus) mixer that can be controlled via the computer with CueMix or with the front mounted knobs as a stand-alone unit.
Best thing to do is to read through the manual some more in regard to CueMix. Then launch CueMix and play around with it.
At the bottom of CueMix are tabs for the 4 stereo busses. They are independent of each other as far as their level settings and output selection (above their master fader) as well as the mute, solo and pan functions.
Unless you are setting up 4 different monitor mixes, you'll most likely just be using Bus 1 and setting it's output to the Main Outs.
Typically, I'll just have all the faders set to max (for my monitoring purposes) and use the front mounted volume control for my main output and phones. Individual channel attenuation will be done at the trim (or gain) knob of that channels preamp. Which brings me to your question about the two front mounted preamps on the MOTU .... Yes, their trim knobs function the same as any other preamp for setting pre-converter level attenuation.

Also to add .....
As long as you set CueMix bus 1 (or which ever bus you use for monitoring) to use the same outputs that your DAW program uses for it's master channel output bus, you will be able to monitor previous tracks while at the same time monitor the audio you are presently recording.

Back