RME interface and AD converters??

superelixir

I've been recording through an RME Babyface, which has two analog inputs, but allows up to 8 more channels through an ADAT in.

The problem is... I'm not sure how to make use of those extra channels. I know there are preamps with ADAT out, but I'm not looking for a whole bunch of cheap pres, just a way to connect all of my channels to the interface. Do I need an AD converter? Are there any good AD converters I could get with ADAT out that won't break my wallet? Or would I be better off just selling the Babyface and getting a bigger interface with more analog channels? :confused:

Exactly what do you want to feed in via the ADAT link? More mics? Or just line level sources? And what's your budget?

The Babyface is an excellent interface and, depending on your exact needs, there's probably something that will give you the necessary ADAT out.

Line level sources. My budget is flexible, but I definitely wouldn't want to spend more than $1000, because at that point I could just sell the Babyface and get an interface with more analog channels...

I don't think you would notice any difference (unless you measure it) in AD-quality in a home studio environment if you got a, say, Focusrite Octopre mkII preamp which has ADAT and is 8 preamps in one. The question is what do you need it for? What kind of line level sources are we talking about?

Preamp channels. If I use an Octopre, could I bypass the preamps? The thing is, I don't need extra preamps, I just need inputs for my other preamps. That's why I'm wondering if maybe the best option is to just upgrade to an RME UCX or something, which has more line level inputs...

Have a look at the Frontier Designs Tango 24 8. I used to use one back when my DAW was a desktop and I had Frontier Dakota as my ADAT input card.

I bought mine in the UK and would guess that it's about $700 new in the USA. However, I've seen them from time to time on eBay for $250-300.

Or...I wouldn't discount the Behringer ADA8000. The mic pre amps are a bit noisy at high gain but for line level sources they're just fine and the A to D sections seem good. I often use them for live work on things like radio mics with line level outs. FYI, I have four of them, have had them for 8 years, and they just keep chugging away.

Back