RME Fireface 802

GuitarLegend

I have been using Focusrite for years. When I first changed from an ordinary soundcard to an emu PCI card, I thought the sound was awesome. Then I got my first Firewire audio interface, the Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP. I thought that was so awesome that when I needed more inputs, I went straight to the Saffire PRO 40. I have loved it for over 7 years now.

While those two have not failed in that time, I had purchased a Focusrite OctoPre MKII Dynamic and for USB work, a Scarlett 18i20. Both of these units failed inexplicably within weeks of purchase. The OctoPre is still out getting repaired. The Scarlett 18i20 failed after the first one was replaced, no USB at all.

Losing faith in Focusrite, I decided to lash out on an RME Fireface 802. I just cannot believe the incredibly superior sound quality of the RME. Now I know why people turned up their noses when I said I was running Focusrite interfaces. If I had known earlier - or more to the point, if I had had the money to get the RME earlier, I would never have touched the Focusrites. The RME is just mind-blowing...

I don't have experience, but from what I have read RME seems to start approaching PRO class. I've not heard one bad thing about their products.

I don't have experience, but from what I have read RME seems to start approaching PRO class. I've not heard one bad thing about their products.
I didn't have the experience until today when my RME arrived... then I was knocked over by the sound... their reputation is safe, EVERYTHING sounds better, more detailed

I didn't have the experience until today when my RME arrived... then I was knocked over by the sound... their reputation is safe, EVERYTHING sounds better, more detailed

For me, if and when I want to go to the next level, I seriously think this is the right direct.

Yeah - I'm thinking about doing the same too (currently have the basic Octopre Mk II and Scarlett 18i6 - both working in good condition thankfully...) but RME also offers Fireface UC/UCX/UFX as well as the 802... Also looking at Prism Lyra 2 or Titan. So confusing as to which one offers the best sound plus value for money in terms. Any thoughts?

I'd mainly be recording grand piano or other acoustic instrumental solo, chamber music of occasional chamber choir/orchestra combo mostly using 4-6 channels.

The UCX is the newer version. Looking at the spec sheet, the UCX adds over the UC:

- hardware DSP
- support for RME remotes
- revised AD/DA conversion
- lower latency conversion
- AutoSet for overload protection
- no bus power via FW. The UC can be bus powered.

I love my UCX, I was also impressed at the audio quality after upgrading from an aging M-Audio Delta 44. I use the USB connection and I get similar latency as my PCI Delta card. About 3ms in / 3ms out at 96 kHz with a 128 sample buffer size. That's pretty impressive to me.

Back