Ripping .cda's

Nilbog

hello
Whats a good program for ripping cda files off a regular cd? I couldnt see anyway to do it in sound forge (maybe theres a plugin?). Anyway, the idea is NOT to go through my soundcard, so I dont want to just record whats coming out of my speakers going back in...or...however that works. Any ideas?
I want to go from cda to wav

Winamp will also do it if you change the output to be the NullSoft DiskWriter instead of the NullSoft waveOut plug-in. (Under Preferences -> Plug-Ins -> Output).

I used this approach cos I had issues with the ASPI drivers for WinNT and Audiograbber(yes, I had the latest ones etc. etc.) but still Audiograbber didn't want to work.

- gaffa

gaffa..that trick works with cda files too? i only thought that worked with mp3's ..

- eddie -

Track Rat. Tell me where and how I can rip .cda files in Vegas. PLEASE! I've been using a CD player with digital out to the S/PDIF on my soundcard to get this done; direct reading would be alot faster.

There's a shareware program called WinDAC that will digitally read the audio files from a cd in the drive. At least I think it's shareware. I hope so.

Is that what you want to do? Not entirely sure what cda is?

matt

Sorry.I must have been stoned when I wrote that. You can't rip one there but you can turn an MP3 into a wave. Jeez, I need to get more sleep.

I think recording from you digital in's produces better results. WinDAC produces errors every time. I mean EVERY TIME!!!

I have read that most rippers produce errors. I have read about ones that produce LESS errors, but they all do, and if keeping the audio clean is your goal, going digital in is your best way, providing that your soundcard does bit perfect transfers through it's digital in's (mostly though, even if a bit here and there get lost, it is still better then ripping).

I know, it is slow, but, sometimes what is best is just a little more of a pain in the ass. That is life eh? :D

Ed

Sonus Person,

When you say errors, what do you mean exactly? Audible errors? Pops and clicks? Dropouts? Or something else?

Because I can't hear anything noticably wrong with my ripped wavs, but then I've never a-b'd them directly with the original cd.

matt

It could be all the above, or possibly none. I have compared ripped .wav files again .wav files I recorded using the digital in's on my soundcard, and believe it or not, the ripped files just plain sound weird.

You can have bit loss, and still not hear drop out's in digital. If you are lossing bits during a transfer you may have no real way of knowing unless you have a way to transfer that is lossless.

I really believe that for audio cd's, doing a digital transfer through your soundcard is the best option.

Ed

Ed: and I thought I was just imagining the pops and clicks I heard on the .wav file I ripped with audiograbber...
They were pretty minor, but I never get that when recording thru the S/PDIF into GINA.

Nope doc, I hear them too.... :( Ripping software is great if you don't have a good monitoring system and sound card.... :)

Ed

What's the problem with just copying the data bit for bit? Why does it produce errors? The whole reason I got a stand alone cd burner, is so I wouldnt have to get a nice sound card.

It's the difference between .wav and .cda format, evident in the filesize difference.
Theoretically, rippers should do it perfectly but I haven't found any that do that yet.
The standalone burner should do it.

I think that mostly it is the fact that many rippers work at very fast speeds, like up to 10x speed, and that the software needs to convert the .cda to .wav. Rippers work much better (I hear) at 1X speed, but many do not offer this option also. So, be careful what ripper you are using. Also, when you are moving data at that speed, the vibrations caused from the cd drive could be corrupting that data. When you are just copying a .wav from a cdr, you would enjoy the error correction that some ripper may not supply.

Anyway, just record in on your digital in's. This is a proven winner compared to ripping software. You know, "why ask why".... :)

Ed

Back