Remote Transport Device for DAWs ????

raybbj

Hi Folks,

Back in the day the ALESiS ADATs had a remote transport panel with a 10 foot cable. Whenever I was recording drums or piano (away from the ADATs) I was able to to use this remote device to punch in and out during tracking. see pic below. Heck, even my old FOSTEX R8 has a detachable panel with a 10 foot cord.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing for a modern DAW? Maybe via USB with a 20 foot cable? Or even better; wireless with a USB dongle? Does such an item exist?
Everytime I mess up a take, I get tired of having to get up from my drums or piano, walk 5 feet to the keyboard and do my transport functions.

yhst-15436568105612_2269_33889018.jpg

Get a wireless keyboard & mouse...they have been around for a long time.

I had thought about that, but I don't really have a spot to put a full keyboard near my drums unless I drag a chair or small table over. I was hopping for something smaller. I know video game joysticks have flex keys that can be assigned to various functions within a video game (fire, shoot, pause, up, down, etc.). I'm sure something could be done for a DAW. A small wireless device the size of a deck of cards that has REC, STOP, PLAY, etc.

Cubase has an remote control app for smartphones/tablets. I'm sure most other DAWs will have something similar. There might even be 3rd software available.

A small wireless device the size of a deck of cards that has REC, STOP, PLAY, etc.

My Logitech M570 wireless mouse has 5 programmable buttons. While I don't use to start record...I can initiate PLAY, STOP, I can scroll Left/Right on my DAW screen...etc. I don't really need more than that, because I use my keyboard too.

As long as your DAW commands are typical keystrokes...you can most likely program them to the mouse. IOW...I have duplicate commands at the keyboard and the mouse.

There are multi-function, programmable mice that are wireless....you just have to find the one that works for you. You don't need to look for some specialized device.

Here's another one from Logitech that is aimed at gamers...it has 11 buttons.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/mouse-with-programmable-buttons

Reaper allows you to customize a web control app that you can use to control Reaper on your phone/tablet (insert web browsing capable device here) that does what you describe.

My Logitech M570 wireless mouse has 5 programmable buttons. While I don't use to start record...I can initiate PLAY, STOP, I can scroll Left/Right on my DAW screen...etc. I don't really need more than that, because I use my keyboard too.

As long as your DAW commands are typical keystrokes...you can most likely program them to the mouse. IOW...I have duplicate commands at the keyboard and the mouse.

There are multi-function, programmable mice that are wireless....you just have to find the one that works for you. You don't need to look for some specialized device.

Here's another one from Logitech that is aimed at gamers...it has 11 buttons.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/mouse-with-programmable-buttons

All I really need is the "R" key from keyboard programmed into a flex key on a wireless mouse. I think this is the way to go. I'm pretty sure I can hook up both my wired USB mouse as well as a 2nd wireless mouse. Thanks for the help

We used an original Faderport as a remote for a long time. Now we have a Mac wireless keyboard which is small and light enough to put wherever we need it.

Some years ago I bought a Frontiers Tranzport wireless MIDI controller that did just as you want.

Son you see was recording acoustic guitar and need to get away from a slightly noisy desktop. Mine ran on XP and Cubase Essentials 6 (you need Mackie Control) I "think" I tried it on W7 wilth success but been a while...

The Tranzport is no more but the Korg nanoKontrol 2 is still current. USB but is only 320 by 85mm. Has lots if controls but notably, Play, Stop, Rec, FF, FW. Will dust mine off and give it a do in a mo'.

Yup, works. Well, does p,s,r,rew,ff and Jodrells a mixer fader in Samplitude SE8. Had to go into the MIDI cotroller setup and put it in as controller and set for Mackie Control...If you are in UK you can have this one for postage, missing a couple of knobs.

Dave.

Last edited:
I use an iPad as a remote on Logic & Studio One. I can run a session from my keyboard rig that way or even in another room. I can see meters, faders, transport control, and commonly used commands from anywhere in the house. I find it very useful.

Back