recording signal level question

shockly

Hello,
A couple of days ago I got my first home pc recording setup, and have been trying to record some nylon string guitar. I figured, one instrument, one track, how hard could it be? Ha!

Here's my current problem (one of them): I'm using an m-audio mobile pre usb interface running into a Dell desk top (2.66 GHz, 512 MB RAM). My recording software is sound forge 6.0. For some reason unknown to me, when I record, the sound forge "record play meters" tops out at -5.5 dB instead of clipping at 0db. It's not that my signal's too week and won't go higher. It just hits the ceiling at -5.5dB. This only happens when I use the m-audio mobile pre (I've tried both channels with the mic input (used a SM57 and Cascade M20) and the line input (straight from an onboard piezo pre), and they all do the same. the sound forge "record play meters" don't do this when I'm monitoring the levels of, say, an audio file. I can raise the record level until the signal clips and the big, red "clip" indicator comes on. Is this something to do with the m-audio mobile pre or is it just some setting on sound forge that can be adjusted? Any suggestions? Anything anybody can tell me is much appreciated.

S

Back