recording guitar direct

LTG

I have been plugging my guitar into a distortion pedal and then directly into my Tascam 424 MKII 4 track recorder which has the line output plugged directly into the line input of my SoundBlaster sound card. When I record this way with bass guitar it sounds good. When I record this way with guitar with distortion it becomes very fuzzy. Would a direct input box help me?
Thanks for the help.

I find a Microphone works best for guitar amps. It's the easiest way to get a good sound for a distorted guitar. A microphone is the easiest solution.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 08-23-1999).]

I agree. amplifiers are also a large part of what the guitar sounds like. Sometimes you want to capture that sound.Use a mike!

Bill

if you want to record guitars direct, get a POD from line six...check one out at a music store. there is a switch on it that allows you to turn off the cabinet simulator so that you can run it into an amp....plus it has a headphone jack for practicing or whatever..i also have one of line six's spider amps which has a different interface and a heavy distortion sound, that isn't on pod....it has some cool effect and and the headphone out is usable for direct recording.

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 08-26-1999).]

The most decent compromise after Line6's POD is using SansAmp GT2. I use it to record distorted guitar and it sounds great (to me'ears), so since its more convenient, I couldn't be bothered with micing my amp.

Thanks for the great answers. I tried micing a small guitar amp but it didn't sound that good. It still sounded a little too distorted after adjusting the levels. Will Line6's POD really work well recording direct?
Thanks once again
-Jon

Just for <my> information, have you tried moving the mic back a bit or lowering the volume on the pre-amp in that cabinet mic situation? I brought my POD over to an old timer with a Twin in his garage and couldn't get the crisp tones from the POD that I could get from the Twin. I was looking for some
hands (and ears) on testimonials. Thanks.

I tried lowering all different levels but the point at which the fuzz stops is too low of a volume. I compare to other songs in which guitars can be loud. I want it to be loud and clear.
Thanks

hi drstawl,

i think the fact that you did such a comparison says a lot for pod. you've got fifteen other friends to visit, one with a marshall plexi, one with a rectifier, etc...but don't think me glib....if you have a pod you know what it does...it isn't the real thing, but in some ways it may be even better, if you want to record direct guitars.

I know what it does. It did it in my living room. I can't even <try> such an experiment in my living room with a Twin, a Marshall, a Mesa Boogie, or my fave, the old Bassman. That's why I bought it and that's why I love it. Period. But it can't be compared to <really> micing a cabinet, now can it? I was after what this user was doing to screw up while trying to mic a cabinet. Enquiring minds want to know. Don't you?

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 08-30-1999).]

actually, i think pod sounds better than a miked cabinet in many cases.. but , i guess it comes down to usage and personal preference at this point.

You will find that the "direct-connect" will almost always render the same result.
I had the same problem trying to use a preamp processor live, right into the board.
Cabinet construction, wood type, speakers, and speaker materials all lend
a certain character to the sound your guitar makes. Two ways around this
problem are to either go back to standard micing the cabinet or use a speaker
simulator. Most companies who sell effects these days offer this as an effect
built into their processors. You just stick it at the end of the chain. You may be able
to emulate the speaker emulator (haha) by using some creative EQ and Compression.
Hope this helps.......

Back