Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recording guitar direct

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have been plugging my guitar into a distortion pedal and then directly into my Tascam 424 MKII 4 track recorder which has the line output plugged directly into the line input of my SoundBlaster sound card. When I record this way with bass guitar it sounds good. When I record this way with guitar with distortion it becomes very fuzzy. Would a direct input box help me?
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks

I find a Microphone works best for guitar amps. It's the easiest way to get a good sound for a distorted guitar. A microphone is the easiest solution.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 08-23-1999).]

Thanks
    I agree. amplifiers are also a large part of what the guitar sounds like. Sometimes you want to capture that sound.Use a mike!

Bill

Thanks
    if you want to record guitars direct, get a POD from line six...check one out at a music store. there is a switch on it that allows you to turn off the cabinet simulator so that you can run it into an amp....plus it has a headphone jack for practicing or whatever..i also have one of line six's spider amps which has a different interface and a heavy distortion sound, that isn't on pod....it has some cool effect and and the headphone out is usable for direct recording.

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 08-26-1999).]

Thanks
    The most decent compromise after Line6's POD is using SansAmp GT2. I use it to record distorted guitar and it sounds great (to me'ears), so since its more convenient, I couldn't be bothered with micing my amp.

Thanks
    Thanks for the great answers. I tried micing a small guitar amp but it didn't sound that good. It still sounded a little too distorted after adjusting the levels. Will Line6's POD really work well recording direct?
    Thanks once again
    -Jon

Thanks
    Just for <my> information, have you tried moving the mic back a bit or lowering the volume on the pre-amp in that cabinet mic situation? I brought my POD over to an old timer with a Twin in his garage and couldn't get the crisp tones from the POD that I could get from the Twin. I was looking for some
    hands (and ears) on testimonials. Thanks.

Thanks
    I tried lowering all different levels but the point at which the fuzz stops is too low of a volume. I compare to other songs in which guitars can be loud. I want it to be loud and clear.
    Thanks

Thanks
    hi drstawl,

i think the fact that you did such a comparison says a lot for pod. you've got fifteen other friends to visit, one with a marshall plexi, one with a rectifier, etc...but don't think me glib....if you have a pod you know what it does...it isn't the real thing, but in some ways it may be even better, if you want to record direct guitars.

Thanks
    I know what it does. It did it in my living room. I can't even <try> such an experiment in my living room with a Twin, a Marshall, a Mesa Boogie, or my fave, the old Bassman. That's why I bought it and that's why I love it. Period. But it can't be compared to <really> micing a cabinet, now can it? I was after what this user was doing to screw up while trying to mic a cabinet. Enquiring minds want to know. Don't you?

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 08-30-1999).]

Thread Information