recording bit depth etc

rossM

A question for people more experienced with digital recording than me - I understand that 24 /96 is higher quality than 16/44.1 - but that i f you want to put something on CD it is required to be in 16/44.1 - Given that this is so is there any point in producing a master recording (after mixdown) in anything other than 16/44.1 ? - Am I going to get any appreciable difference in quality if I mix a 2 track master to 24/96 (or any other sampling frequency) and then convert it in some way (probably through some software - or re-recording it) to 16/44.1 format . Any help on above would be appreciated.

If you look here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=186102

You'll see that alot of people still record at 44.1Khz, but record at 24 bit. I'm no expert, but from what I understand, the higher bit depth gives you more headroom when you record. This can be especially good if you're recording something like an instrumental group that has a wide dynamic (volume) range. For 24/96 to be effective, you would need some good monitors and some room treatement probably.

Back