Recording audio or MIDI via USB

famous beagle

I wasn't sure where to put this question. It involves a MIDI controller, but it's not really a MIDI question, per se. Basically, here it is:

I've recorded plenty of hardware synths using line out jacks into a computer via an audio interface.

I've also used plenty of MIDI controllers to play virtual instruments in my DAW.

However, I've never used a device like this:
Arturia Analog Experience - The Player - 25 Keys | Sweetwater

This is a 25-key controller that has a bunch of built-in sounds. That's no biggie. Most hardware synths can be used as a MIDI controller as well. But the difference here, for me, is that there's no line out jack. The only outputs (that I see) are MIDI and USB out.

So ... here's my question. How can you record the built-in sounds (which is audio, not MIDI) of this controller using a USB cable?

Specifically, I'm trying to do this on an iPad in GarageBand, but I'm curious as to how it would work on a computer DAW too.

Thanks!

I'm thinking I maybe misunderstood this thing. (The verbiage is odd to me.)

Now I'm thinking that the sounds aren't built-in ... just that the keyboard comes with a software bundle, which includes a bunch of virtual instruments.

That would make more sense.

Yeah, a MIDI controller is just a device sending to a VSTi or something that makes sound.

It likely just has some software that will make noises. You got this.

Well... Your question begs some other questions... Any reason you wouldn't look at the manual to confirm the outputs - if you were planning to buy it? However, if you are correct, and there is only a USB out, you would connect it to your machine, and it would see it as an audio device. So, when you go to record, when choosing the input, you'd choose whatever... The text on your link says that it has some software - I'm pretty sure that's the key to it's magic.

From the sales blurb : "With it, you not only get the awesome Arturia Analog Player (packed with 1,000 synth sounds!), but you also get a sweet 25-key MIDI controller"

It's a midi keyboard (over 5 pin or usb) that comes with a virtual instrument.
Pretty sure it's as simple as that. :)

Back