Recording advice needed

msr001

I know this has been discussed in various forms before, but I would like to get some fresh opinions. I will be recording a concert band (about 50 piece) in (and I hate to say this) a gymnasium. I have no choice in the venue, but I do have some choice in how I approach the recording. My question is what is the best way to capture a good stereo image of the band without capturing too much of the room ambience? I have seen suggestions that ORTF mic placement would be good in a situation like this. But what about a spaced pair in front of the band? I will be using a pair of ADK SC-1 small condenser mics.

thanks.

msr

Condenser mics will just make things worst.

the only way to fight this type of acoustic scenarios is by using DYNAMIC mics.
Example: Shure SM58/SM57.
---

Now: there could only be 2 possible scenarios for you.

Scenario 1:
You can't do close miking do the band ( you don't have permission )
The band's SOUND will come out of the PA system.

Solution: Focus on the PA System ( Try to do close miking to the PA System )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario 2:
You do in fact, have permission to get close to the band.

Solution: Use dynamic mics such as sm57s and get close to the main instruments.

-put some shures 57s in the guitar amps zone (as close as you can get).
-Ask the MIX engineer to give you a Direct SEND of the vocalist MIC,
so you can have it on your interface. ( if not possible ), then mic the vocalist floor
monitor. ( if the vocalist doesn't have a floor monitor ) Well, you better stay at home
and watch some ****. Cause recording this band will be a PITA.
-Put a couple of dynamics in the drums zone. ( overheads if you like ).
-And so on with whatever source you want to capture. (Using dynamic mics).

The more far you are from the band, the worst the acoustic will get.
The trick is to get closer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

If you end up using two mics in front of the whole band you might want to bring along a few reflection filters to place around the back and sides of the mics.

well if those are the mics so beit.. and no i would try to go to dynamics presonally... i go with a simple x/t pair... bringing the mics closer would controll the legth of the room... but changing the room is best... is this a dedicated session or are you doin g a concert??? see if they have any of those choir shells... put them in the corners @1/2 the way from the band... backwards... that is to say cupped towards the corners... good luck...

Back