Recorded vocals sound 'flat' in playback

Tommiiee

Hi all,

I'm new here and a total n00b regarding recording vocals, but I'm trying to learn. Not too long ago I bought a Samson G-Track USB Microphone for recording vocals and Cubase 5 as my software.

During recording, the vocals sound fine through my headphones, but when I playback the recorded vocals it sounds kind of 'flat'. Almost no bass it seems.
I'm wondering why that is and how to solve it, but I don't really know how to figure it out since USB is digital. So it shouldn't have to do with the USB, should it?

I'm using ASIO Low-latency drivers for recording btw.

Thanks.

Tom

It's always best to post a sound clip so that people can hear what you're talking about. (For example, my first impression when you used the word "flat" was that the vocals need reverb. Others might interpret it to mean your singing is not on pitch. And so on....)

If the vocal is lacking in bass, put an EQ on it and turn up the bass. Or perhaps better, turn down the mids and highs.

This is common because while your recording you can hear what's in the headphones, but you can also hear your real voice bleeding through and through your body.
Upon playback all that fullness is gone.

As said though, post a clip when you can. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can upload a sound clip after getting my post count up to 10.

Meanwhile, does any of you know a good EQ tutorial (aimed at Cubase would be great)?
"Turn up the bass and turning down mids and highs" sounds like something I'm willing to try, but I don't know how :P
Like I said, I'm a total noob.

Steenamaroo is right. When you record while wearing headphones you're not just getting the electronic sound; you're also hearing yourself via bone conduction making it a very different experience.

To go beyond that though, what are you using to judge the quality of the recorded sound. Unless you have some decent monitors, it's anyone's guess what your recordings actually sound like I'm afraid.

Back