Recorded audio Levels are much louder on playback, than when recorded

tronus

Heres the problem im having:
Sound Card: maudio delta 1010lt
Software: cakewalk sonar 4

I run out of my boss gt-6 guitar floor processor. I use its digital out and my sound cards digital in(s/pdif). In my sound cards control panel I have the audio level of my S/PDIF input peaking right at -6. Thats right where the manual suggests and it is not clipping. While recording, the audio levels of the monitor are at a good volume with no clipping. When i play the recorded audio the level is much higher and clips the whole time. You can see the corresponding output of the recorded audio in the control panel and its always in the red while playing. Why doesnt my output level(in the red) match up with my input(-6 on the meter). I can stop this by turning my floor processors overall patch volume down, or the individual patch, but then the input only hits around -24(half way up) on the level meter. Is this still a reasonable amount of volume for recording? Is it my software that is cranking the volume up?

Last edited:
i forget what it's called but there is a gain control on each track in sonar to calibrate sonar with your sound device. if the delta panel is'nt showing clipping and you hear no clipping, i would'nt worry about it. check out that gain control i mentioned though.

TravisinFlorida, i turned the trim down on the extra loud channels and it worked perfectly. Now i have a nice full signal and no clipping. Perfect :)

Back