Record your headphone mix when improvising

Jan

I think I’ve found an easy solution for a problem that has bothered me since I started recording with VST on my computer.

I like writing songs, and do this by improvising with my guitar with headphones on while singing some kind of “phonetical” melody line. If I found an interesting theme, I then work on it and write a decent text etc, but basically improvising is an essential part of my songwriting.

Basically, it bothers me that when I want to record these improvisations, I have to open an arrangement in VST, assign channels, mix it down, add reverb etc.

My solution:

I normally only use my mixer as a headphone mix while recording, with a cheap reverb, with all pre-amplifiers going directly into my RME DIGI96PST with 8 input Adat extension soundcard. I also use a patch panel.

I put the main mixer outputs on the patch panel and normalized them to the inputs of my second soundcard (SBLive)

On my Windows taskbar I put a shortcut to Windows build in Sound Recorder, which is such a small little program that it really doesn’t need any recourses, and starts up in a flash. I assigned the SBLive as input device and my RME as output device.

Now I can leave my setup for my RME intact for recording with VST and make quick draft recordings of my headphone mix when improvising.

Of coarse you can do this with a tape recorder as well.

It’s great. Yust one click and I’m recording my headphone mix. No more lost ideas!

Back