MichaelF

I'm having trouble recording a second set of tracks on top of
the originals. The signal is weak for the second set. Here's my
setup:

Behringer 2004A Mixer
Delta 66/OmniStudio
N-track software (Delta Control Panel hardware settings: ins 1-4 all
+4db)

So, we (the band) are recording "live", going to the 1/4" ins of the mixer. Main outs (L,R) of the mixer going to the line ins 3,4 of the Omni. That's cool. Getting a good strong signal. Everything sounds good on playback through our monitors. But, when recording while playing back the original tracks, the resulting set of tracks shows a significantly weaker signal than the originals. Should I expect this? How do I record on playback to get a 'matched' signal level.

Please enlighten a dumb bass player. Are drummers better at this recording stuff?

- When you are setting the levels for recording on the second set of two tracks, what do the meters show you in your recording software and in the delta control panel?

- How are you monitoring the first set of tracks, and the tracks you are recording.

- How many mics are you using to record? Reason I ask is there might be a better way to send your signals. Drums submixed to the alt 3/4 into 1 /2 on the delta, guitar / bass into inputs 1 and 2 on the mixer, out the inserts to inputs 3 / 4 on the delta etc. Monitor prerecorded tracks by taking outputs one and two from the delta into a spare stereo line input on the mixer, any one of 9 to 16 by the looks of the photograph.

- With that mixer I'd go with -10 rather than +4.

Yes, we're running the Delta outs into lines 15,16 of the mixer for montoring purposes. We have some "stage" type monitors (they're way old and home-made but they work well). We also have a headphone unit that allows each of us to monitor thru those as well.

Mics: 3 vocal mics, 1 each on bass and guitar, 3 left for drums (snare, kick and overhead)

We plan to get more into submixing and recording each instrument/vocal separately but right now we're still learning (baby steps). For now still recording "stereo". I was just curious if I had something set wrong. Why -10 for the Behringer?

- When you are setting the levels for recording on the second set of two tracks, what do the meters show you in your recording software and in the delta control panel?

The recording levels in N-track appear to be the same as when the first set of tracks is recorded. Here's where I am confused. I'm recording with Line ins 3,4 on the OmniStudio. In the DCP, HW IN 3,4 faders are set to the maximum (all the way to the top). The hardware setting for record in 3,4 is set at +4db. Is there somewhere else I can adjust the signal level?

Back