Recommendations on interfaces

Rhymeswithmouth

Hello! I'm thinking about seriously upgrading my current home studio setup (Scarlett 18i8, with a Mackie 1202vlz3 mixer), replacing the Mackie with a larger board, maybe a 16 or 24 channel, and consequently I'd want to replace the interface with something that can handle more analog inputs.

Am I better off getting something like a lucid 88192, and feeding the board into that with my 18i8 so I can get 16 inputs (8 via ADAT), or getting an interface that actually has 16 inputs of its own?

I've been trying to find a really "dumb" interface with only line inputs (so I don't have to worry about preamp quality, that's why I want a mixer), but aside the Tascam 1641, I really don't seem to be able to find anything under $2500 ? I'd like to keep the interface under $500 (used is good) if possible

Hi,
I don't think there's any big advantage either way when comparing 16 analog inputs or 8 analog/8 digital on an interface, except that the latter is much easier to find.
Some of the Motu interfaces have 8 dedicated line inputs and 8 digital over adat.

Something like an 828mk2/3 + an ada8000 would give you 16 TRS line level inputs, straight to DAC,
plus an additional two front panel mic preamps for convenience (+spdif/midi..whatever else)

Not sure what you are doing but the Focusrite OctoPre can accept Mic *or* Line inputs via the combo jacks, so that can add 8 line inputs to your Scarlett. You'll be limited to 48kHz but have 16 analog inputs. If you want to get much higher quality, it's going to cost a bundle.

Back