Recommend Audio Interface(s) for 16 analog I/O

noisewreck

I am thinking of upgrading my Aardvark Q-10. The thing is I need 16 inputs, so one option is to get a 2nd Q-10 off of eBay. My problem with that is the fact that the company is out of business, so there are no future driver updates.

I have been very happy with the Q-10, so if I go for a new interface, I'd want to go up. I've looked at the RME range, but it seems that the ones offering more than 8 I/O only accept digital inputs (ADAT, AES/EBU, etc.). Also, I need 1-2 mic inputs. Other than the MOTU jobs out there, do you guys know of any other interface that offers 16 analog inputs, or my only option would be to get 2 Fireface 800s? This would more than cover my mic needs as well. About the only other thing I'd miss on the Aardvark is the channel inserts that provide mixer-like insert points for outboard FX.

Would I need two FireWire ports for them, or are they daisy-chainable?

Do two of them play well together?

Any other interfaces/soundcards that are comparable in quality and price?

Anything else I need to think about that I haven't asked?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Thanks for the input Bulls Hit. The only problem with that list is that the M-Audio stuff are actually a step down from the Aardvark and the Firepod is at best on parity, minus the inserts ;) I am looking for higher end options below $2,000 thus giving the RME as a reference point.

Yeah other than Motu, I don't know of many.
BTW the firepods do have inserts. There's also the new presonus firestations

Yamaha i88x and then pick up a MOTU 2408 MkII for peanuts off Ebay and hook it up the Adat. Sixteen quality channels plus two really good mic pres.

I bought an INCA 88 recently on ebay. (audio) 8 in 8 out with selectable preamps (incl phantom power) on two of the ins & selectable h/phone on 2 outs.
WITH a great breakout box & software for AUS$128.
It's REALLY good though a the technology is 1/2 doz years old or more.
Highly recommended by this ultra amateur though, esp as it'll allow 8 in simultaneous recording.

Maybe this'd do the trick. Mackie ONYX 1640 mixer. Just under $1700 with 16 XLRs, 16 ch simultaneous firewire interface @ 24/96. The firewire captures a dry signal, pre-EQ. You'd have to look at the online manual to determine whether you could pick up the insert on the recorded channel. You also have two mains captured at the same time, so that gives you at least two channels using inserts, effects, etc. along with the 16 dry signal channels. There is a stereo mix firewire return for monitoring.

You might be able to run both this and the Aardvark at the same time and so use the onboard EQs to better advantage.

therage! said:
Man that i88x has caught my eye for some time. But there are people who have problems with them. They are only $400. Those two pre's are worth that. Here's a link to some discussion on the unit.

http://www.mlancentral.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=6&Board=yamaha
Well they're more like $1200 over here so I've got three on their way over to this side of the pond for me, Drummerdude666 and another friend. I've read about the problems but at that kinda loose change price for a serious bit of kit, I couldn't hold out any longer. I was looking at Terratec, M-Audio, Presonus and similar stuff that was less good and far more expensive. So with a bit of luck this will be the answer to my problems.

The USPS lost them in the post on the way to Britain .... but that's another story.

You mentioned the Fireface 800. Does all the I/O have to be on the same converters??? If not, I would get the Fireface 800 (or any other unit with 8 or so analog ins and ADAT) and then get like a presonus digimax, focusrite octopre, or mackie onyx 800R to go in ADAT for another 8 analog channels.

Treeline said:
Maybe this'd do the trick. Mackie ONYX 1640 mixer. Just under $1700 with 16 XLRs, 16 ch simultaneous firewire interface @ 24/96. The firewire captures a dry signal, pre-EQ. You'd have to look at the online manual to determine whether you could pick up the insert on the recorded channel. You also have two mains captured at the same time, so that gives you at least two channels using inserts, effects, etc. along with the 16 dry signal channels. There is a stereo mix firewire return for monitoring.

You might be able to run both this and the Aardvark at the same time and so use the onboard EQs to better advantage.
Heh, the ONYX completely slipped my mind! That's certainly a viable option. One thing I'm not quite clear on though. Does the FireWire option provide 16 simultaneous inputs?

cawhite12: I am using Cubase and unlike Logic it doesn't allow the simultaneous use of different cards. Actually, different models from the same manufacturer could be used, as long as they use the same drivers.

c7sus: man, you HAD to do that to me didn't you? :D I've always heard high praise about the Lynx stuff. At $3,000 though it's about $1,000 over my budget :(

Great suggestions guys! Gives me some options to think about.

Thanks to all.

I think what cawhite was saying was use the Fireface drivers, but connect the second 8 inputs via adat into the Fireface. Cubase wouldn't see the second unit, just 16 channels from the Fireface

Oh, yes, I get it now. That just made me think of something... I'm gonna look into the ADAT option for my keyboard... That probably would be the best way to go about it.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

noisewreck said:
Does the FireWire option provide 16 simultaneous inputs?...

Yes; that and the upgraded preamps make it a contender. You can stream 16 inputs simultaneously, plus the main R and L as two additional channels. So you get up to 18 tracks recorded at once. You can also daisy chain the ONYX units by firewire if you're really determined to be a techie. :cool:

You can have up to 13 channels at once going into the Fireface. The rear of the FF has 8 TRS ins (1-8). The front has 1 (channel 1) guitar input and 4 mic pres with TRS ins (channels 7-10). All can be used simultaneously, but the four total channels going into 7 and 8 can only have 2 mixes. Make sense. Essentially, you have 10 independent inputs, with 3 that can be piggy-backed on channels 1, 7 and 8.

It's an amazing piece of gear.

Back