reccommended computer

matt_barlow

I have cool edit pro 1.2a and fruity loops 3.0 I have another computer I would like to put all of this on. I would like to upgrade this computer. I would like to know a reccommended hard drive, motherboard, RAM, and proccessor. Make sure that all are compatible w/ each other. I would also like to know a reccommended sound card. My price limit is only 350 to 500 dollars for all of the above. Is it even possible to get good quality recordings w/ the above mentioned for this little amount of money. thanks for any help given.

Matt, on a question like this I'll usually price out current components with names and specs, but given your budget I don't think I will this time.

A mobo/cpu combo is gonna run about $150.
Hard drive about $99
Ram is still cheap at about $30 for 128mb of PC133.
You can spend from $99 to the price of a volkswagon on a soundcard.

What other equipment do you already have and what would you like to be able to do?

This "other" computer you've got is ATX and has CD, floppy, video card, etc.?

I am guessing you are from the US?

With the chip and motherboard you should go for one of the AMD range. I would suggest seen as your on a tight budget that the Duron range would suit your needs. I am from the UK so i dont knwo the US prices for these, but a 1gig shouldnt set you back more than $100. I don't know the price for motherboards, I would suggest ABIT KR7A-RAID as this is a great motherboard, and will last you a while (1.5gig upgradeable) try www.dabs.com .

As far as i know the 7200rpm Hard drive range is suited better for recording purposes and after searching the net i have foudn you an affordable one the IBM 60GXP 41.2GB UDMA100 Is what you need.

As for RAM, well what can be said, it depends on the motherboard you settle for. But here in the UK it is selling for about £25 ($60) for 128mb, so two of these should suit you fine.

As for soundcards, it all depends what you want to do with them, recording wise? more info is needed on this.

Hope this was of some help

regards

aL

In reply to rats this other computer does have a floppy drive cd rom drive and a colorodo backup system. I do not no if this could however be used to backup recording files in case of a crash.

In response to MenT-al I want to have good quality recordings 24/96 and I want a soundcard that is easy to understand. Thanks

also in reply to getuhgrip, the other equipment I have is a fostex x34 4 track tape recorder, a master tape deck, speakers, a receiver, amplifier, and equilizer. I have forgot the name brand on the unbranded stuff. It is good name brands though.

on hard drive i love my Maxtor Diamond Max 7200 rpm..alot of people here also do...

for MB/CPU, id go with the choices in the article C.Anthony posted...thats a very powerful system.....

Back