rebuilding computer

distortedrumble

all up in yo grill!
ok the computer is dead and i figure now is as good a time as any to build a new one.
the budget is $500-$700. case, video card, keyboard, monitor and mouse are still useable from the last comp.

I'm looking to record 10-16 tracks at one time. (2 delta 1010s would be my ideal choice but I'll probably go for getting 2 of the 1010lts) I am not including the soundcards in buying the new system.

now heres the fun questions

pentium or 64? i'm thinking a 64 3000 or 3200 on newegg

ide or sata...whats the difference besides about 10 bucks?

i have one fan blowing air into my system at one end and a fan blowing air out of my system at the other end....am i the only one that does that? or should they both blow air into or out of the system?

MY BEST ADVICE...
1. go 64 if you can. i would go with proven fast 7200 rpm hard drives.
with 8 mb caches. go with 939 64 if you can. 512 ram minimum.
dont get fancy with raid etc. search on the bbs. many users have posted
their successfull 64 configurations. so give them a read.
DONT put anything in pci slots other than your sound card so you have no possibility of pci bus contention. no fancy video cards, or internet cards, or tv tuner cards.
2. check with maudio that the deltas are compatible with the mbd and chipset you intend to go with.
3. OVERSPEC THE POWER SUPPLY. dont chintz on it.
be aware a lot of clone power supplies operate under spec thus causing probs.
this whole amd 64 is exploding. so be carefull, and do lots of research
on mainboard etc.
good luck.

also DR. amd's own site has lots of usefull info (amd.com) for example a list of motherboard manufacturers.
if you must do sata. do some googling on sata. and research some of the issues some folks have had. lots of info on google and links.

It doesn't matter which route you go (AMD64 or P4) because they will give probably similar performance. The videocard doesn't matter - go for the cheapest one possible. I'd recommend a 9200SE or Geforce 4 MX or something similarly low in spec. You don't need any 3D power for sound.

IDE and SATA are virtually identical... However if you go SATA then make sure your motherboard has SATA connectors [it most probably will]. SATA have thinner cables - improving airflow.

Like someone said - dont' skimp on the power supply. Buy a brandname one [antec/aopen etc]. This is crucially important.

With the fans: The idea is to create air flow. If you they are both sucking or blowing then the flow isn't gonna be too crash hot. Try and get one sucking and one blowing if you can.

with respect triplej i'm a computer engr, but your forgetting one thing.
just search some tech forums. the 64 reports so far due to the architecture of the chip by users is very low latencies for audio. this is important.
the p4 IS a good chip. and you WILL get lots of tracks.
but latency is very important in multitracking. also the 64 is reporting some very high track and plug in counts.

....the video card i have currently is a 32mb sis something. thats low spec enough i think. it worked well before...should i go up to 64mb?

if your going with motherboard video DR you wont need it.
video cards can really cause problems on some systems.
heres what i would do. see if on board video keeps you happy (it does for me). if it doesnt and you MUST have a fancy video card then MATROX are well behaved from what ive seen.

Back