Reaper Pitch/Tempo Problem

rorohello

Hi All,

I'm recording with a Focusrite Clarrett 8PRe thunderbolt and Reaper. I just started having a problem where if I disconnect the Clarrett and use the internal sound from the Macbook Air, the audio plays back at the wrong pitch/tempo.

This never use to happen and I use to be able to export multi-tracked stuff from Reaper as a stereo file into Garageband where I like to arrange with virtual instruments. Doesn't work now. And even if I leave the Clarrett as the audio source, it plays back at the wrong pitch when I drag an export into Garageband.

Any help really appreciated.

Did you somehow hit the "Rate" slider next to the BPM indicator? I did that one time by accident and wow!! did it ever mess with my mind. If you slide it left or right it will change the speed of playback and the pitch, like speeding up or slowing down a tape.

Also, are you doing everything in the same bit rate? I dont use a Mac, so I don't know anything about how Garageband adjusts bit rates.

Attachments

• Rate Slider.jpg
    Rate Slider.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 248
I'm pretty sure I didn't hit the slider, but I will double check.

I changed sample rate to 44.1 recently, because I'm using a new high quality ADC. So that sound like the culprit. I googled beforehand though what the default sample rate in GarageBand is and it said 44.1, which is why I made the change.

I look up the default same rate for Reaper and go back to using that to see if it works

Are there any little blue squares with i in them next to the waveforms in Reaper? Or could the clocks for each audio interface be different? Are you sure that you have the clock source set correctly in the Focusrite control panel? If both the Focusrite and the ADC are set to work on external clock you could end up with the clock frequency being wrong.

Can anyone remind me what the default sample rate and bit depth are in Reaper?

I had it all working to that, so I'm just going to try and revert.

The Burl ADC clock is set to internal. Running SPDIF to Clarrett. So I'll make sure that is set to External. Correct?

Can anyone remind me what the default sample rate and bit depth are in Reaper?

I had it all working to that, so I'm just going to try and revert.

The Burl ADC clock is set to internal. Running SPDIF to Clarrett. So I'll make sure that is set to External. Correct?

Whatever you have changed them to (and saved) is where they stay when you open a new project.

Hi Guys, I'm still having trouble with this, and while Focusrite support and you all agree what the problem is...no one can tell me a solution.

Again:

I record from microphones/line level into a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer. The stereo outputs from the mixer feed a buss compressor and then into a Burl B2 Bomber ADC set to 44.1 and "Internal" for clocking. An RCA SPDIF runs from the Burl into the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt and I can verify (again I wouldnt be able to record signal otherwise) that Focusrite Control is sync'd (Green light on) set to 44.1 with external for clocking and RCA as the clocking source.

Reaper is also set to 44100. The tempos and BPMS all seem correct in Reaper throughout all of this. Then, when export stereo files from Reaper and disconnect the Focusrite, it plays back at the wrong pitch on the Mac...whether it's on the desktop through iTunes, or opened in Garageband.

I'm assuming it plays within Reaper just fine?

Try rendering instead of exporting. It shouldn't make any difference, but Rendering is probably the better method for getting a final product.

Once rendered, shut down Reaper. Reopen Reaper, then import the rendered file to see if it sill behaves itself within Reaper.

If it does, the problem would seem to exist outside your primary signal path and Reaper.

However, why do you disconnect the Focusrite? You can leave this connected and use it for all your audio.

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying some things that Focusrite support said to do. Related to rendering. But I was using the term export as a synonym.

I don't have a dedicated computer for recording. I use the same Macbook Air that I use for work/personal life. But, even with that said, if a file isn't pitched right, or the tempo is all wrong when I play it on my desktop...then that means anyone with a normal setup for listening isn't going to hear what I intended. So this is a huge problem, especially since it's just project/demo stuff I was going to master at home.

I don't have a dedicated computer for recording. I use the same Macbook Air that I use for work/personal life. But, even with that said, if a file isn't pitched right, or the tempo is all wrong when I play it on my desktop...then that means anyone with a normal setup for listening isn't going to hear what I intended. So this is a huge problem, especially since it's just project/demo stuff I was going to master at home.

I likewise use my desktop for everything. And all audio goes through the interface.

However, it is not clear whether your problem manifests within Reaper after you import it back in and play, or whether it only appears when you playback using other applications.

I just discovered that if I drag an MP3 file from my iTunes library into Garagband, it plays uptempo and glitched. Wouldn't this point to the problem being in the Mac OS or Garageband?

Sure sounds like something in Garageband isn't reading bit rate or tempo correctly. I dont' use Macs, so I can't confirm anything.

Focusrite support linked to this to explore Why will my Scarlett 18i20 not play or record audio at 96Khz on a Mac? – Focusrite Audio Engineering

I'm in shock and awe that I'm on one of their flagship devices...and the thing doesn't play nice with Mac core audio?!

It's not my scenerio because I was recording and exporting at 44.1...but it proves that there is something that can happen between that interface and the Mac OS that fucks up your playback/sample rate before a reboot.

I think I'm just going to get rid of the Focusrite and go Apollo

I was able to re-create the problem again this morning no problem. I connected the Focusrite, had everything sync'd at 44.1. Recorded acoustic guitar to my project at the right pitch and tempo. Rendered the file out (again at 44.1) as a WAV to desktop. Unplug the Focusrite, plays back pitched down, wrong speed.

When I am plugging the Focusrite in to do these tests, I am noticing it is not playing the audio files on my desktop (if I hover over and press play as a Mac allows) no sound even though the elapse thing on the file starts moving. Is that a clue??

This is ridiculous. I have a $900 interface that is useless on a Mac. No one else is having this problem???

What happens when you burn the WAV to a CD and play that? What happens if you put the WAV onto a USB stick and play that elsewhere?

What happens when you load a WAV file from elsewhere and play it back (with or without Focusrite)? What happens to the audio when play YouTube videos?

On another note, why disconnect the Focusrite at all? It is there to provide the audio facilities, in and out, for you r computer, so you could always let it do its job fulltime.

I'll check.

I have multiple audio interfaces for different purposes around my project studio.

I'm thinking I'm going to ditch this one.

Also as per my note about the interface not playing files on my desktop...how would I check masters? Or listen to comp tracks?

This problem renders a high end device from Focusrite useless on the most used OS for creatives. I can't believe they don't know how to fix it.

I wouldn't ditch the focusrite until you've determined that it's the problem.

Is it possible that it is set to 96 and that's what you are recording at, then when you disconnect and playback, it goes to a default 48 or 44?

As for checking masters . . . are you doing this by playing back through computer speakers?

I have difficulties visualizing your set up. WHat roles do the other interfaces play? Why do you ened the focusrite if you have alternatives? Or vice versa?

Back