Reaper

boogle

So I had heard so many people talking about it I had to go check it out. As an big Cubase fan Reaper is the first DAW I have tried out that I have really really been impressed with. In about 5 min. with the demo song loaded I feel like I could now run an entire session in Reaper effectively. $40, what the hell is that. The track, editing, and routing in Reaper is awesome and most importantly to me innovative. At the same time it is all still familiar. And did I mention $40!!

I still like my Cubase but man Reaper is cool, I am going to buy it ASAP, maybe not to use as my primary DAW but I really want to use it some more.

Great Job Guy's.

The developer updates it several times a week. If there's a bug, post it on their forum and he'll have a fix for it. Plus, the people there really know how to use the program, and it's a lot more complicated than it looks. However, it's also incredibly easy to get things done in a jiffy. I love Reaper.

boogle said:
Great Job Guy's.
It's only one guy making the software.

Every time I start up Reaper there seems to be an update. And direct contact with people who know a lot about it and even sometimes the developer himself is a big plus and much better than most support you can get with other software companies.

I think the same guy developed NinJAM which is another great program, and it's built into Reaper as an FX too, so you can jam with other people over the net in real time.

I think a lot of people should really consider this and try it out before shelling out a lot of money for really expensive programs.

Yeah, I am a fan too. Been really impressed with it's capabilities. Since most of what I do is indie release or just my personal stuff, it is more than enough power for me.

i was a cubase user too before switching to Reaper. now when i go back into Cubase, i get pissed off about how much less intuitive it is to use than Reaper! i hate having to click on different stupid tools to select things, and overall the work flow just doesn't seem as smooth as Reaper. the only thing i use Cubase for these days is for mapping drums with DFHS, since it has an easy to use drum editor. but i still hate having to click on the arrow button to make a selection, then go back and click on the drumstick tool to write notes. i got used to Reaper's right-click+drag for selecting.

tom18222 said:
if i knew how to record multiple tracks, at the same time,i'd use it full time.

what hardware are you using? are the drivers settings correct in Reaper? do you know how to arm a different input per track?

i have an aardvark q10. it has 10 channels. it works fine in adobe audtion. but in reaper i can only select one of the channels to be the in. its the same with my pod, or anything else. i just cant figure out how to select multiple inputs.

In your device setup, select the correct driver and then select the range for your inputs. When you've done that, on your armed tracks, click in the meter area and select either mono or stereo input and bam, all your channels are right there.

Just spent some time with Reaper over the weekend.

WOW what a great program.

The main reason I gave it a shot was to play with some VSTi's.
VSTi's are cool. Yesterday was my first experience with them.

The one thing that I could not figure out how to do is change the time-line to start at zero at the start of the song and not the start of the wave files.
Can you change the time-line starting point?

pipelineaudio said:
lemme know if you need any extra help or when I can talk you through it.

are you the developer? I may have met you when I lived in Phx. was your studio ever down near baseline or guadalupe road?

GreenDank said:
are you the developer? I may have met you when I lived in Phx. was your studio ever down near baseline or guadalupe road?

I made a lot of the suggestions from a studio point of view from early on...still working on a title besides the "chief evangelist" you see in the credits :)

Baseline and Guadalupe sounds like Porcupine maybe?

pipelineaudio said:
I made a lot of the suggestions from a studio point of view from early on...still working on a title besides the "chief evangelist" you see in the credits :)

Baseline and Guadalupe sounds like Porcupine maybe?

ahh. now that I think about it, the studio had a "space" theme to the name, like Capsule, Shuttle, or space something-erather.

After using Reaper for a week, I completely dropped Cubase. No crashes with Reaper, does everything I need, very fast, sounds good.

I'm still partial to Cool Edit Pro 2...and Reaper can't edit audio can it? It's just a multitracker? That's the idea I got. Seems cool though.

RideTheCrash said:
I'm still partial to Cool Edit Pro 2...and Reaper can't edit audio can it? It's just a multitracker? That's the idea I got. Seems cool though.

It was created to be THE editor

It edits vegas style, with many multitrack editing advantages over cool edit

HOWEVER

Cool edit kicks the crap out of it in many ways in 2 track editing. Therefore, by rightclicking any item or item(s) in REAPER, you can chose to open them or open copies of them in Cool Edit ( or any 2 audio editors of your choice )

Dont give up your current editor, integrate it with REAPER

pipelineaudio said:
It was created to be THE editor

It edits vegas style, with many multitrack editing advantages over cool edit

HOWEVER

Cool edit kicks the crap out of it in many ways in 2 track editing. Therefore, by rightclicking any item or item(s) in REAPER, you can chose to open them or open copies of them in Cool Edit ( or any 2 audio editors of your choice )

Dont give up your current editor, integrate it with REAPER

which is exactly what i've done. i still use Cool Edit for wave editing, and REAPER for multitracking. nice combo there.

Back