Realtek Latency Settings or Buy Sound card

Mik James

I've managed to get my Alesis dm10 up and running with Addictive drums through Reaper on an em350 Emachines netbook with onboard Realtek sound but it seems like i may be missing a setting somewhere to put more workload on the cpu and reduce latency?

I'm using the asio4all driver and i've tried adjusting everything in the driver settings as we'll as Reaper audio settings like sample rate and block size with no luck.

I haven't been able to find a buffer size setting in the sound options of my Realtek card either, is there a way to use more than 20% of the cpu with this "sound card" and get less latency without the crackling or am i limited to the asio software buffer size setting (hardware buffer mode just adds more latency).

asio4all is a bandaid hack to make the computer think WDM is low-latency ASIO (what you really want to use).
Plus, a onboard soundcard only has about 40cents worth of parts; less than a Hershey bar.
They are made for cheap beeps and boops and light gaming.

Bite the bullet, spend $100 and up and buy a real asio soundcard if you want to make music...

Back