Reading .WAV files on a Mac Pro Tools rig?

producerkid

I've decided to record one of my songs at a local studio that has tons of great equipment but no balls behind the brains so to speak. The owner has fucking awesome equipment (Manley Gold Reference mic, Manley Vox Box, Toft, Kahn, and API pres, DBX compression, neumann and sennheiser out the asshole) but for some reason lacks the creativity or maybe just time to make the stuff sound like it looks. So I'm going to go in and record, engineer and produce one of my songs to be able to use the big boy toys and I'll of course post it here when its done so you can hear the results. On for the real question...

I have the rough version of the song recorded in Nuendo to a click and I would like to bring these tracks into the studio and work on the same template since I will be keeping some of the original takes (piano and vocals done by someone that can't be retracked). He uses a Pro Tools TDM setup on a Mac G5. What would be the best way to get the .WAV tracks into his Pro Tools rig? I know near-nothing about Macs so would the Mac read my CD-R backup of the tracks or would I need to burn a hybrid disc or some other form of conversion? I appreciate the help in advance.

the kid

saving the tracks as simple .WAV file should do the trick fine
just make sure they're all the same length files, otherwise it might become a bitch to align the tracks later.

Ok, cool so the Mac shouldnt have any problems reading my PC disc then?

And also would the Mac be able to burn a backup that is readable in my PC?

Thanks for the help.

no... a .WAV file is a pretty standard file format that both systems can understand. It's not Mac or PC specific. However, be careful when burning the CD and you tell it to burn a Data CD...otherwise Windows may think you're trying to make an audio cd.

if you plan on backing up the Pro Tools session, you will need to make sure you check the Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility option when you create the New Session. This way you can open the .PTS file on Mac or PC version of Pro Tools. Also keep in mind, that Mac (I know in OS9 this is true, but maybe not OSX) doesn't add extensions to the files. Like a file called Take1 is just called Take1 and to play it on a PC you'll have to rename it as Take1.wav or whatever format it actually is. I have a ton of old AIFF files that I had to rename when transfering them over to PC.

Is Prostools convertign the files to wav. or his he using OSX core audio to convert it> Sorry don't know what Prostools uses now.
If its OSX core audio, you may have a problem reading the wav files.

The track export controls in Protools allow you to export tracks as .wav files in addition to other formats.

The TDm system can read standard Wav Files without any isssue's Just make sure you do not compress the wavs in any way. also make sure you burn an iso9660 cd. You will not have any problems inporting into protools. If you have any more questions feel free to ask

Back