Rare Volume Bug with the BOSS RC-300

Mirth470

Hello everyone,

I am clearly very new to this forum, after some online research, this place seems to be my very best shot at finding help for this particular problem! I thank you in advance, for taking the time!

I have been using the BOSS RC-300 loop station for a few years now. About 1 year ago, a problem with volume regulation started to appear - The master volume is (randomly, at least once a day, for 45+ minutes, up to hours) randomly and rapidly changed. I am talking about 2-3 vastly different levels, sometimes rapidly alternating, sometimes only every few minutes or so.

This affects the Main Output, so the source of the audio (1/4inch instrument cable, XLR mic cable, USB in from the PC, etc) does not matter at all.
Restarting the device, disconnecting various components, adjusting any settings including the volume knob, all this does not prevent this misfunction, rendering my RC-300 essentially useless for live situations.

Does anyone have any clue, whether this could (1)be a soft- or hardware issue? (2)Whether an "instrument repair guy" is likely to be able to fix this? (3)Perhaps someone who uses the BOSS RC-300 looper has had a similar experience?

I am just desparate for any information at this point. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate subforum for this question, and/or if there things I can clarify about the problem.

Your help is Very Much appreciated, and Season's Greetings!

Mirth470

Could be anything, but I'd start by plugging the unit in and getting all the tracks to pass audio of some sort. Then adjust the knobs and faders, listening for crud or static sounds. If you can hear anything like that it's possibly dirty pots or faders. It's also possible that if the level controls are digital, you might not hear the dirt directly but you might be able to find a specific control or range or track that triggers the problem. (Master level or the individual track faders is where I'd start looking) If that's what it is, it's an easy fix if you have a can of DeoxIT F5 or similar, and know how to clean pots and faders. If you're not comfortable with doing that, it shouldn't cost very much to have a tech clean the thing for you.

If that's the actual problem. Another possibility is broken or cracked (usually called "cold") solder joints on the output jacks (or bad cables). If what you're describing is that the main output is the same for direct and looped tracks, but the volume bug only happens on the looped tracks and not the direct signal, that would rule out the output jacks as a problem. Also this problem would make the thing cackle, not shift volume levels.

Dear Lizard(hope you got snow where you are),

Thanks so much for that detailed response, I am now reasonably comfortable with... paying a tech to properly clean the thing!

The only other interesting thing I noticed, a circumvention of sorts, was to use not the main output, but the SUB outputs for my speakers. The problem is still sometimes there(less so lately, but always lurking), but the output volume is not affected as badly. Sound quality suffers, but not to a detrimental extent, for my piano anyhow..

..Again, Much Thanks to anyone who considered taking, or took the time to engage with me.

Having the Same Issue

Hi there,
I seem to be having the same issue and am wondering if the cleaning was a solid fix or if there are still seemingly random volume drops. attempting to go through the sub output now thank you for that advice hoping for a general fix though.

you may have given up ages ago based on the time that the last post was sent too. no worries just thought id chime in and say you're not alone.

-SF

Dear Lizard(hope you got snow where you are),

Thanks so much for that detailed response, I am now reasonably comfortable with... paying a tech to properly clean the thing!

The only other interesting thing I noticed, a circumvention of sorts, was to use not the main output, but the SUB outputs for my speakers. The problem is still sometimes there(less so lately, but always lurking), but the output volume is not affected as badly. Sound quality suffers, but not to a detrimental extent, for my piano anyhow..

..Again, Much Thanks to anyone who considered taking, or took the time to engage with me.

Highly technical test this, when the fault shows, give it a good BANG on a hard floor, if that makes a temporary fix or otherwise changes the level, you have a bad (cold/dry) joint somewhere on the PCB.

Dave.

Having the Same Issue

Hi there,
I seem to be having the same issue and am wondering if the cleaning was a solid fix or if there are still seemingly random volume drops. attempting to go through the sub output now thank you for that advice hoping for a general fix though.

you may have given up ages ago based on the time that the last post was sent too. no worries just thought id chime in and say you're not alone.

-SF
Hi there. I have the same issue with the volume level on the recorded loops on channel three. It randomly shifts levels up and down.
have you or anyone here solved this issue?

Hi,
I think I have the same issue of erratic volume behavior (i.e., sporadic increases or decreases in the volume). II swore it was my Ditto Stereo Looper (which precedes the Boss RC-300 in my signal chain). The reason I have my Ditto ahead of my RC-300 is that I use my Ditto for daily practicing but my RC-300 to work on set performance pieces. I went so far as to update the firmware on my Ditto looper, as there is similar known issue for the Ditto. However, I had the same problem with a new Ditto + that I just bought. Then, I wondered if there was a similar problem with the RC-300. I have only now just taken the RC-300 out of my signal chain. I do use it for performances so I am wondering if there is a fix. Maybe a firmware update? I have not looked yet to see about a firmware update.

update
I did update the firmware on the RC-300 from 1.01 to 1.05. Fyi, you will lose your data unless you save it. I also did a factory reset, which is a separate procedure. I do not know if this is going to work, but I figured I would report back, in case this helps anybody.

This unit is kind of a dinosaur at this point, but maybe someone else out there is still using it.

Kind regards...

Last edited:
Hi,
I think I have the same issue of erratic volume behavior (i.e., sporadic increases or decreases in the volume). II swore it was my Ditto Stereo Looper (which precedes the Boss RC-300 in my signal chain). The reason I have my Ditto ahead of my RC-300 is that I use my Ditto for daily practicing but my RC-300 to work on set performance pieces. I went so far as to update the firmware on my Ditto looper, as there is similar known issue for the Ditto. However, I had the same problem with a new Ditto + that I just bought. Then, I wondered if there was a similar problem with the RC-300. I have only now just taken the RC-300 out of my signal chain. I do use it for performances so I am wondering if there is a fix. Maybe a firmware update? I have not looked yet to see about a firmware update.

update
I did update the firmware on the RC-300 from 1.01 to 1.05. Fyi, you will lose your data unless you save it. I also did a factory reset, which is a separate procedure. I do not know if this is going to work, but I figured I would report back, in case this helps anybody.

This unit is kind of a dinosaur at this point, but maybe someone else out there is still using it.

Kind regards...
Hi. I’m having the same problem, wasn’t sure if it was my mixing desk or the RC 300, but now pretty sure it’s the RC 300 when I can see that other people are having the same problem. In my case it’s random and relatively short drops in output volume. The output is going to 2 different amps (l and r) but it happens in both amps at the same time so I don’t think it’s a dry solder issue with the output cables or sockets. Did updating the firmware help? I’m guessing not, because I’m pretty sure I’ve checked before and I’m on the last version of firmware.

Same problem here, random cuts in volume which I first worried was the mixer but now sure is the rc300, as it’s coming out of two separate guitar amps and the cuts effect both. Used to happen rarely, now more frequent, to the point that I can’t consider using it publicly. Any diagnosis or solutions?

Hello, I just joined the forum for this specific problem. Did anyone ever figure it out?

I thought initially a power tube was out on my amplifier but when i plugged the guitar directly into the amp, the volume was fine. I am able to juice the output to the amplifier by turning up the master dial but I did not need to do this previously. I was about to order a new set of tubes to be sure but then plugged the 300 into a different amp, set a loop and started soloing. The volume did not drop out but it seemed like someone was turning down the volume as I was playing. Not down to zero, just from 7 to 3 for example.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

good BANG on a hard floor, if that makes a temporary fix or otherwise changes the level, you have a bad (cold/dry) joint somewhere on the PCB
got a RC300 from a (crooked?) ebay user, one output has volume issues, up to signal integrity issues.
In my case it is MAIN OUTPUT R. The other 4 outputs are doing fine.
Volume deficiency occurs. underneath a threshold it also sounds like a tape player on low battery ;) banging changes the level, upward.
Bad soldering effect: at 1st banging the RC300 shall better sound quality, until the bad solder effect gets worse, ends with dead output.
I'll ask the company (in german) how to solve that issue once and for all,
till then, musical regards.

my message to BOSS:
Hallo liebe Mitarbeiter des Produkt Support,
Loop Station RC-300 output failures:
wir sind 11 Mitglieder der homerecording,com community die seit 4 Jahren von kalten Lötstellen (Lautstärkeverlust bis hin zu krazen und knacken, Lautstärke verändert sich durch leichtes schlagen) berichten an einer oder zweier Ausgangsbuchsen. Wir wundern uns nun ob sie eine Rückrufaktion für uns ausrufen könnten?
Vielen Dank im Voraus und besten Gruß,
Udo Sean Sigwalt.

Last edited:
I had this exact problem, too (intermittent, random volume fluctuation).

I fixed it.

You can read about my solution and troubleshooting steps here: Solving the Fluctuating Volume Bug in the Boss RC-300

The master volume potentiometer was at fault. Whether from being worn down or bad solder joints, I don't know. I simply replaced the entire pot. I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but I hope my story helps.

Back