RAM upgrade?? did it work??

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
I just installed 128 mgs of RAM in my computer, doubling it to 256. I just run Cooledit, mainly...and I am still chugging away on Win95 (I did a clean install of Win 98 awhile back, but it "seemed" less stable on my setup...so I went back to 95...go figure:( ) Anyway...so am I supposed to notice a ~speed~ difference, or did I just blow $38 bucks at Crucial.com?

98se is MUCH more stable than 95. Start up msconfig and get rid of all that crap that people think you want to run at startup and 98se isn't so bad. TweakUI helps too.

With your current setup, you may NOT notice much performance increase until you start really processing the hell out of something that needs to swap a lot with the disk. Run your disk defragmenter and see how much faster that is with the new RAM.

Ed

good suggestion sonusman,
as he stated, does'nt really increase speed, just helps with processing that demands a lot of memory. Such as real time effects, which you wont get with Cool edit. But it certainly does'nt hurt to have plenty of memory, its so cheap now.

mixmkr said:
I just installed 128 mgs of RAM in my computer, doubling it to 256. I just run Cooledit, mainly...and I am still chugging away on Win95 (I did a clean install of Win 98 awhile back, but it "seemed" less stable on my setup...so I went back to 95...go figure:( ) Anyway...so am I supposed to notice a ~speed~ difference, or did I just blow $38 bucks at Crucial.com?

If my memory serves me clear, Win95 doesn't properly utilitze more than 64MB of ram. If you want to see the difference, you must install to windows98 or higher.

You also should note that Windows95 doesn't support a lot of technologies that came during the P2 and later processors. if you're running a P2/3/4 or comparable AMD processors, I advice to upgrade your OS

Even real time effects aren't typically memory intensive.

If you're not using the memory, then you're not increasing your "speed." The reason that memory upgrades can increase performance is that memory is considerably faster than the hard drive (8ms vs 8-9ns in access time alond). The more the system has to swap out to disk, the worse your performance.

Typically a DAW should need a maximum of 256MB for most audio work. If running Windows 98, 128MB is usually sufficient. On Windows 2000 I have rarely gone over 128MB during a recording session, and that leaves an additional 128MB for loading soundfonts or loops that will be triggered from memory.

I think it's sort of funny when I see people putting 512MB+ in recording machines when they're just working in n-Track or whatever. If you're not using it, you're losing money.

Typically signs of being short on memory are excessive disk thrashing, especially during simple tasks like minimizing and maximizing windows, etc. Of course your disk will thrash when you're recording, but if the disk continues to run heavily after you've STOPPED playing or recording and are just working with the application, then you've got memory issues.

Slackmaster 2000

hey, while you guys are at it, I got a quick question about ram.
I have 350ram, and I have noticed that the more real-time effects I use, the less tracks ACID/Sonar can play without dropout/pausing. Does this have to do with my memory or processor speed? or both? How can I imporve this?

A1A2

It has to do with the hard drive

I suggest having 2 hard drives

One for the Operating System and Audio Programs

And the other just for the audio files

Also get 7200RPM Hard Drives, they are better

Tukkis

That particular situation has nothing to do with the hard drive. If you are getting dropouts from adding EFFECTS, then the most likely culprit is the processor. It could be a lack of memory if you're *really* pushing it.

Not that a dedicated hard drive isn't a bad idea though, because it certainly is.

Slackmaster 2000

I STRONGELY recomend you upgrade to at least Windows 98SE.

There may be good general reasons to upgrade further (like to XP) depending on what you do, but upgrading from 95 to 98SE is a no-brainer. Win98SE is 100% compatible with everthing on your 95 PC but it simply works much better than Win 95.

Last edited:
Back