Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions about Focusrite Clarett 4pre

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Sounds like a PCB got wrongly stuffed. HOW these things get past final QC is a mystery but 'it'appen.

Dave.
    QC? You need to step out of the wayback machine, Dave.

The overseas factories where this stuff is made anymore are effectively unmonitored, and that includes where they source the parts that go in the bin come from. Sure, they are spec'd and prototyped and those first few off the line get QC'd, but once the company that orders the products (e.g., F'rite) has left the building, you can be sure it's full speed ahead and save the fractional pennies, or whatever they're counting in, any way they can.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

2. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sounds like a PCB got wrongly stuffed. HOW these things get past final QC is a mystery but 'it'appen.

Dave.
    What is a PCB?

Also, could you help me with a mixing console question? I'm in the market and looking for some answers to questions I can't seem to narrow down online.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    QC? You need to step out of the wayback machine, Dave.

The overseas factories where this stuff is made anymore are effectively unmonitored, and that includes where they source the parts that go in the bin come from. Sure, they are spec'd and prototyped and those first few off the line get QC'd, but once the company that orders the products (e.g., F'rite) has left the building, you can be sure it's full speed ahead and save the fractional pennies, or whatever they're counting in, any way they can.
    Oh! Well we had the odd thing slip through. I recall an Artisan A100 that had one of the seriesed 220mfd 450V smoothing caps fitted wrong polarity. Fortunately Sales fired it up, not a customer and the bang and fuse blowing ***t them up a bit! Bit of a task cleaning it up but it worked fine after. Went into Artists Loan Stock iirc.

I know you had to keep a beady eye on suppliers. They would slip in "equivalent" components that had not been passed designer's checks. We had a man flying out to the East kicking arses just for this purpose.

Printed Circuit Board chap.

Dave.

Thanks
    Oh! Well we had the odd thing slip through. I recall an Artisan A100 that had one of the seriesed 220mfd 450V smoothing caps fitted wrong polarity. Fortunately Sales fired it up, not a customer and the bang and fuse blowing ***t them up a bit! Bit of a task cleaning it up but it worked fine after. Went into Artists Loan Stock iirc.

I know you had to keep a beady eye on suppliers. They would slip in "equivalent" components that had not been passed designer's checks. We had a man flying out to the East kicking arses just for this purpose. ..
    It could have been a supplier substituting a part they believed to be equivalent - the supplier might not have even been the component manufacturer.

Many of the offshore factories (and their suppliers!) being used these days are simply running on air, or almost a vacuum, given that there is so much capacity and competition for these jobs, that if any opportunity to change the bottom line shows up, it's hard to resist. I assume (based on how the PC industry was working a few years back), the cost of some higher line devices, whether a pro vs consumer audio interface or the commercial/business vs. consumer lines of a PC manufacturer, et al, is simply adding more rigorous specifications and [real, frequent] QC.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    It could have been a supplier substituting a part they believed to be equivalent - the supplier might not have even been the component manufacturer.

Many of the offshore factories (and their suppliers!) being used these days are simply running on air, or almost a vacuum, given that there is so much capacity and competition for these jobs, that if any opportunity to change the bottom line shows up, it's hard to resist. I assume (based on how the PC industry was working a few years back), the cost of some higher line devices, whether a pro vs consumer audio interface or the commercial/business vs. consumer lines of a PC manufacturer, et al, is simply adding more rigorous specifications and [real, frequent] QC.
    No, in this cas the part was in spec, they just fitted it the wrong way up and then did not test the amp!

Dave.

Thread Information