Questions about Focusrite Clarett 4pre

Delmont

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm thinking of retiring my Tascam and building a DAW. The interface that most interests me is the Focusrite Clarett 4pre. I like it mainly because of its low latency its Air feature.

Apparently the 4pre comes with its own software. Does that mean I can't use different software? I'd been leaning toward Reaper 5.0 because of its simplicity and its bit depth.

From the reviews I've read, the Air feature isn't necessarily available except when using the interface's software. But none of the reviews gave a clear idea of what that means in practical terms - for instance, if I do decide to use Reaper.

Can you shed some light?

Thanks!

Del
( •)—:::

Hi,
A lot of interfaces come bundle with some limited recording software to get you started, probably hoping you'll eventually pay for the bigger/better version,
but you can use most interfaces with most software.
I can't imagine using it with Reaper would be a problem.

The 4pre also comes with its own routing/settings/control panel program called 'Focusrite Control' and it seems that's where air is toggled per channel, and also where line/inst is toggled for inputs 1+2.
This is common enough. I've had Motu + Presonus interfaces with their own routing/control software.
I can't find any suggestion that Air option only works with certain software.

Here, this review might be useful.
Looks like the guy is reviewing on Ableton.

Hi,
A lot of interfaces come bundle with some limited recording software to get you started, probably hoping you'll eventually pay for the bigger/better version,
but you can use most interfaces with most software.
I can't imagine using it with Reaper would be a problem.

The 4pre also comes with its own routing/settings/control panel program called 'Focusrite Control' and it seems that's where air is toggled per channel, and also where line/inst is toggled for inputs 1+2.
This is common enough. I've had Motu + Presonus interfaces with their own routing/control software.
I can't find any suggestion that Air option only works with certain software.

Here, this review might be useful.
Looks like the guy is reviewing on Ableton.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping someone would say. Looks like I'll be safe with 4pre.

Never got into DAWs before, and I want to get it right.

I’m curious to know about you’re experience with the Clarett 4PRE. I’m having low input signal issues with mine - have to push the gain dials to 80-90% of their rotation and boost in post to get anything audible. What has your experience been like? I’ve tried both a Scarlet 2i2 and Zoom H6 without issues (40-60% gain use on the preamp) so I’m confident the set up, other equipment, and computers are all fine.

I’m curious to know about you’re experience with the Clarett 4PRE. I’m having low input signal issues with mine - have to push the gain dials to 80-90% of their rotation and boost in post to get anything audible. What has your experience been like? I’ve tried both a Scarlet 2i2 and Zoom H6 without issues (40-60% gain use on the preamp) so I’m confident the set up, other equipment, and computers are all fine.
You might want to post a fresh question. I don't have it, I'm just wondering about it. Might get in over the next year or so, if I can sell off some gear.

You might want to post a fresh question. I don't have it, I'm just wondering about it. Might get in over the next year or so, if I can sell off some gear.

Focusrite is replacing it for me. I should have a new unit in a week or so and I'll know more then if it's a normal behavior thing or if it's a defective unit. I'll post back then.

UPDATE:

I received the replacement Clarett from Focusrite today and thus far, after a quick set up test run of 5 minutes, the gains are working as expected — PLENTY of clean headroom!

UPDATE:

I received the replacement Clarett from Focusrite today and thus far, after a quick set up test run of 5 minutes, the gains are working as expected — PLENTY of clean headroom!

Sounds like a PCB got wrongly stuffed. HOW these things get past final QC is a mystery but 'it'appen.

Dave.

Sounds like a PCB got wrongly stuffed. HOW these things get past final QC is a mystery but 'it'appen.

Dave.
QC? You need to step out of the wayback machine, Dave.

The overseas factories where this stuff is made anymore are effectively unmonitored, and that includes where they source the parts that go in the bin come from. Sure, they are spec'd and prototyped and those first few off the line get QC'd, but once the company that orders the products (e.g., F'rite) has left the building, you can be sure it's full speed ahead and save the fractional pennies, or whatever they're counting in, any way they can.

Dave.

What is a PCB?

Also, could you help me with a mixing console question? I'm in the market and looking for some answers to questions I can't seem to narrow down online.

QC? You need to step out of the wayback machine, Dave.

The overseas factories where this stuff is made anymore are effectively unmonitored, and that includes where they source the parts that go in the bin come from. Sure, they are spec'd and prototyped and those first few off the line get QC'd, but once the company that orders the products (e.g., F'rite) has left the building, you can be sure it's full speed ahead and save the fractional pennies, or whatever they're counting in, any way they can.

Oh! Well we had the odd thing slip through. I recall an Artisan A100 that had one of the seriesed 220mfd 450V smoothing caps fitted wrong polarity. Fortunately Sales fired it up, not a customer and the bang and fuse blowing ***t them up a bit! Bit of a task cleaning it up but it worked fine after. Went into Artists Loan Stock iirc.

I know you had to keep a beady eye on suppliers. They would slip in "equivalent" components that had not been passed designer's checks. We had a man flying out to the East kicking arses just for this purpose.

Printed Circuit Board chap.

Dave.

Oh! Well we had the odd thing slip through. I recall an Artisan A100 that had one of the seriesed 220mfd 450V smoothing caps fitted wrong polarity. Fortunately Sales fired it up, not a customer and the bang and fuse blowing ***t them up a bit! Bit of a task cleaning it up but it worked fine after. Went into Artists Loan Stock iirc.

I know you had to keep a beady eye on suppliers. They would slip in "equivalent" components that had not been passed designer's checks. We had a man flying out to the East kicking arses just for this purpose. ..
It could have been a supplier substituting a part they believed to be equivalent - the supplier might not have even been the component manufacturer.

Many of the offshore factories (and their suppliers!) being used these days are simply running on air, or almost a vacuum, given that there is so much capacity and competition for these jobs, that if any opportunity to change the bottom line shows up, it's hard to resist. I assume (based on how the PC industry was working a few years back), the cost of some higher line devices, whether a pro vs consumer audio interface or the commercial/business vs. consumer lines of a PC manufacturer, et al, is simply adding more rigorous specifications and [real, frequent] QC.

It could have been a supplier substituting a part they believed to be equivalent - the supplier might not have even been the component manufacturer.

Many of the offshore factories (and their suppliers!) being used these days are simply running on air, or almost a vacuum, given that there is so much capacity and competition for these jobs, that if any opportunity to change the bottom line shows up, it's hard to resist. I assume (based on how the PC industry was working a few years back), the cost of some higher line devices, whether a pro vs consumer audio interface or the commercial/business vs. consumer lines of a PC manufacturer, et al, is simply adding more rigorous specifications and [real, frequent] QC.

No, in this cas the part was in spec, they just fitted it the wrong way up and then did not test the amp!

Dave.

Back