Question on Firewire, and another on Mixer>Preamp>Soundcard

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
All I have is an M-Audio Audiobuddy, for a preamp.

I want to record drums. I never thought about this, but could I go from say a mixer into my preamp, and then from it to my soundcard? I realize it would be mono, but would it work?

I also have a question on firewire. I want to know how exactly it works. Let's use the Presonus Firepod as an example. If I had 4 mics going into the Firepod, and out of it with firewire into the computer, do those 4 mics show up as four separate tracks in Cubase or whatever supported software it uses?

-Austin

buuuuuump.

Anyone that saw this or anyone that is seeing it now for the first time want to give a shot at helping me out? Thanks!

For the Firepod, yes, you can record up to 8 seperate tracks simitainously using the Cubase it came with. I haven't personally done it yet cause I need a new computer that doesn't crash constantly... but I talked to a guy a guitar center for a long time and he assured me this is how it works. Recording with firewire is much faster and has less latency then USB 2.0... this is all I know for now. Hope this helps.

question 1 - Yea, it's possible... but WHY do this?

question 2 - that's exactly how it works. all the different channels become one data stream down the Firewire, then the data gets broken out into different channels in the software.

Nick98338 said:
question 1 - Yea, it's possible... but WHY do this?

question 2 - that's exactly how it works. all the different channels become one data stream down the Firewire, then the data gets broken out into different channels in the software.

More precisely, the data gets chunked up into packets that each contain a certain number of samples from each of the inputs and response packets that each contain a certain number of samples destined to go out each of the outputs. These packets are (approximately) spaced equally. Then, on the other end, they get split apart---in software for the input side, in hardware for the output side. The hardware or software then plays back the chunk of audio from the buffer.

This packet size is variable and has a significant effect on latency, but this is not the only factor. In software, there are circular queues used for buffers. Imagine an endless loop tape with a play head and a record head. The distance between the "record head" and "play head" in this circular buffer adds a bit of latency for each buffer.

Yeah, I know you didn't ask about that, but I figured as long as you wanted to know "everything" about FireWire, I'd try to spew as much as I could think of off the top of my head. :D

Alright, thanks guys. The only problem right now is the price issue. I'm just not in a position to pay $400+ for the firepod and software.. wish I could find it cheaper.

Is this the best route? Or do you guys have any other suggestions? Any other interfaces that could do the same job just as well?

Back