A question of ethics

Jagular

Well, I thought I knew wha the answer to this question is, but I keep hearing conflicting advice on this subject.

I just got Win xp pro for my new computer I am building. I was grumbling to someone that Win98se is giving me fits (maybe) on my old computer (or it could be hardware - haven't figured it out yet). They asked me why I just don't install Win xp on the old computer too. I thought you needed to buy a copy for each machine, but this person said it was perfectly alright to use the same copy on two personal machines. However, I did notice while installing XP home edition on my wife's computer that you have to activate (not register) the software within 30 days or it won't work. So that leads me back to thinking MS won't like it too much if you have the same copy activated on two machines.

Both machines would rarely be running at the same time (unless I'm surfing while my daughter is playing a game. I'm all about doing things legally, but of course, I don't mind saving money (legally) either. So what's the right answer?

Aaah, Jagular... why bother... :D
I bought original WinXP Home Edition, and installed it on both mine & my wife's machine. When I activated it, I wrote the activation numbers code to a piece of papper, and applied also to my wife's machine. Her PC is not connected to internet. Hey... She's your family. I won't give Bill Gates a right to tell what I should share with my wife.
I would say Never give it to others, but wife ??? gimme a break, Bill... :D

Well, it's slightly more complicated with my wife's version of XP Home as her company bought it for her to use (she works at home using our computer). So I definitely didn't feel right about that version "migrating" (hehe) over to my computer. So I purchased XP Pro (full oem version for $143) with my new machine parts :D. So I guess I'm just concerned with using the one XP Pro version on my new computer & old computer.

Incidentally...I once I get my new one built, my old one won't be functional for at least a month (need to buy a new monitor or a cheap used one), so it really won't be an issue until then. I'll probably go ahead and update my win98se to xp right now on my old machine to see if the issues go away with xp but not activate it. I'll have the new machine up and running well before the 30 days (I hope :D).

But I'm still interested in other thoughts on the matter (not that I didn't appreciate yours James - I actually liked the answer :D)

I'm interested to find out more about this too. I'm having major issues trying to install 98 on an older machine, and I think an install of XP would clear things up nicely. The problem is I have installed XP on my new machine already, is it going to let me install it on another machine? Somehow I don't think so :(. (Both machines are online). I think somehow, for over 300$ Canadian, I should have some kindof right to do this. It is most certainly not cheap.

Yes, you would be violating the license agreement.

But you know what? Fuck em. They don't offer any good options other than to spend $400, which is outrageous in your situation.

I would find it unlikely that an activation code would work on multiple machines unless they were identical, since it creates a unique key based on core hardware components.

However, you can simply activate twice. Activating the second machine won't break the first one or anything. And I believe you get a few activations before you have to call and explain why you need a new code....in which case lying is a good option: "I've gone through several machines this year, blah blah".

You can also look up a volume license key on the net that will allow you to install without activation.

Don't feel bad about "cheating" microsoft. They're definately getting their money's worth out of you...and the whole activation scam is horrendeous...as are their new license programs. The gestapo isn't going to come knocking down your door...that would cost more than you're worth!

P.S. if the gestapo does come knocking down your door...sorry 'bout that.

Slackmaster 2000

Hmmmm...but then that means no access to critical updates and such on the second machine I'm guessing.

Thanks for the response Slack. So I take that to mean that it is not legal to install it on two personally used machines (which sucks IMHO). I guess I should start reading the EULA's a little more carefully :p :D.

I think for now I'll install it on my old machine just to see if Win98 is giving me fits or if it's a hardware issue. I won't activate this install. Then I will install it on my new machine and activate it. Then when the new machine is up and running I will wipe it from the old machine and struggle along with Win98 on the old one. Then down the road, if I order any hardware upgrades I will get an OEM version of XP (I got XP Pro for $143 OEM when ordering the new puter parts - not too bad) and install it on the old machine.

At least that's my thinking for now.

I still wouldn't mind hearing what others think :)

can yo uget corprate edition xp? if im not mistaken it doesnt require the activation. and you can still get your updates.

I have two machines at my house running WinXP Pro currently (have had three online on my old DSL connection simultaneously), and all off of the same distro. They're all the same CD key as well. No problems with WIndows Update that I've ever run across. We've also installed OfficeXP on about three or four machines using the same CD key, and no problems. So just so everyone knows, there *shouldn't* be a problem with doing it "technically". Morally and ethically are completely different things, however. ;)

tomb said:
can yo uget corprate edition xp? if im not mistaken it doesnt require the activation. and you can still get your updates.

My copy of XP Pro must be some form of corporate edition, or a Dev version, but they're clearly marked through and through as plainly XP Pro, and never needed activation, just the good ol' CD key shit. They're out there, however how you'll get 'em are completely up to you.

Back