Puzzled - Studio One, same operation doesn't work every time

revnice1

I've got two:

1) Selecting clips, for example, to merge.

I Select from the end, but the clips are not highlighted and won't merge with the G key
I Select from the beginning, nope.
I come up from below, nope.
I come in from above, nope.
I tried Select > All from the menu - nope.

Just when I'm about to climb on the roof with a magnum, it works. I don't know why the other attempts failed and it isn't a big deal except that you break stride and start getting frustrated.

2) I want an audio display I can see, the default is so small.

So I put my cursor at the top of the clip, looking for that special place where you can poke upwards and get a bigger display - only the cursor doesn't change. Most of the time it does.
I tried making the track bigger from top to bottom, maybe that feature needs more space - nope.
I tried making the track much smaller - nope.
I tried lowering the fader, perhaps you can't raise the volume via the clip if the fader is too high - nope.

Same again, not a big deal but I don't understand why these things don't work all the time, every time. There must be a condition that's either present or not, I thought, but suddenly I'll have success without changing anything.

Anyone?

Thanks - rev

I was helping a friend with Studio One last night. To expand the vertical height of the track, you need to 'grab' the bottom of the track control box (you will see the cursor change) - it only works in a small area, though. When you mention 'fader' - that is the console view, , you need to do it int he track view above.

>To expand the vertical height of the track
I understand that and that works but I was trying to make the audio display larger. Normally, you get the cursor to the top of the clip and the cursor will change, then when you push upwards the audio display becomes larger and the volume is increased. I am unable to get that to work on a piano track I'm working with. But it works most of the time.

Here's the selection problem in pictures.

3.jpg shows the clips selected AND highlighted - the G key will now merge them.

2.jpg shows I have selected the clips (from below) but they are not highlighted - the G key will not merge them.

1.jpg shows I have selected the clips (this time from above) but they are not highlighted and G will not merge them.

Why does the selection not select the stuff each and every time? I'm spending a stupid amount of time just trying to merge clips.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 5
Again, I don't know Studio One, but I would venture to guess that you need to select each clip, not the track they are all on. Making the view taller won't change the volume of the items on the track.

I checked my explanation and it's good. But here's the problem in pictures.

1.jpg The audio display on the bottom light blue track is barely visible. This is changed by placing the cursor close to the top of the track/display, where it will change to a pointy finger. When you see the pointy finger, you push the cursor up and the display and the volume are changed. The result is shown in 2.jpg.

What's bugging me is that it doesn't work all the time. I only tried enlarging the view to see if pointy cursor was a function of track size.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4
On 1) above, the selecting issue:

Selecting for Copying, Merging or any other reason, reliably works in the bottom pane. In the top pane, Shift/click reliable works but it's tedious if you have a large number of small things to select. In that case, it's better done in the bottom pane. I consider that issue solved.

I stumbled on the answer to 'Selection works sometimes but not all the time.'

Selecting in the Track view DOES work! The important part is where you place the cursor. If you place the cursor higher than halfway up the clip, nothing is highlighted and G won't merge anything. If you select starting from below the halfway point, everything is selected and G will merge the selected content. So, you don't need to Shift/click each measure and you don't have to do it in the Edit window.

In Cursor too high.jpg, my cursor is above the halfway point in the height of the clip - won't work
In Cursor correct.mpg, my cursor is below the halfway point in the height of the clip - everything will be highlighted and G will merge the selected content.

It's probably in the manual but if I read the whole thing I wouldn't remember more than 5%! :)

rev

Attachments

• Cursor to high.jpg
    Cursor to high.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Cursor correct.jpg
    Cursor correct.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5
Back