Protools And Scarlett 18i8

Brawders

Setup

2008 Mac Pro
Mavericks 10.9.5
Pro Tools 10
Lots and lots of plug ins I’ve bought

My issue is that I bought a Scarlett 18i8 3rd gen and Scarlett Octopre (for all the extra input preamps) and the 18i8 apparently isn’t compatible with the older OS. When I open up the Focusrite Control it doesn’t see my hardware. Also when I play something the sound fluctuates between medium loud and loud.

I would upgrade to the newer Pro Tools but I have a lot of plug ins I’ve invested.

Would a possible solution be to partition my main disk and run Pro Tools 10 on my Mavericks, then download High Sierra on my other partition with Pro Tools 12 and just switch back and forth when I need to?

If only the Scarletts were compatible with 10.9.5.

Hi,
Yes, that's entirely possible.
Unless all your bays are full it's also possible to just add in an additional hard drive, making the task a little bit easier.
Not sure if you've ever dual booted MacOS before but you just hold alt (i think?) when the machine is booting and it lets you choose the hard drive you want to boot.

The other option, of course, is to switch interfaces to something that is supported. I don't know about the latest and greatest but Presonus + Motu interfaces have been very well supported into modern MacOS,
and there are plenty of Firewire options that sell for less than you'd think as Firewire popularity is really low.

If you're proposing an install with High Sierra and PT 12 then I guess the plugins are the bit you're worried about?
Have you looked into compatibility? A lot of providers release updated installers to cover new OS releases.

I think I'd just switch interfaces to something supported and move to HS+PT12 full time

I wouldn’t terribly mind the dual boot mode, but I think I am limited to which OS I can actually use because of my machine. I think El Capitan is the newest it will accept.

Oh, I thought you were presenting High Sierra as a doable option.
In that case the question is really should you change everything to suit the interface, or just get a new interface.

I'd change interface to something compatible with your existing setup.

I’m sorry about that, I’m still slogging through the internet for compatibility. It looks like the 2018.12 version of it is compatible with El Capitan. I’m a teacher so education discount helps.

I was thinking about the other interface option but I got the 18i8 with a good teacher discount and the Octopre use for a great price. I’d just hate to have to get rid of them.

I’m sorry about that, I’m still slogging through the internet for compatibility. It looks like the 2018.12 version of it is compatible with El Capitan.

I'm not sure how much that helps. Can you even buy 2018.12 now?
Even if you can, El Capitan is listed by focusrite as "not tested but should work" so there's a bit of a gamble there too.

I’m a teacher so education discount helps.

I was thinking about the other interface option but I got the 18i8 with a good teacher discount and the Octopre use for a great price. I’d just hate to have to get rid of them.

You wouldn't have to get rid of an octopre as it's additional preamps over adat. Compatibility isn't an issue there.
Discount is more of a reason to switch interfaces, for me. You could probably sell it for more than you paid if it's as-new and packaged.

If you have a setup that's playing nice and the interface is the only issue, that's the part I'd switch.

Back