earrhh

Hi everyone
I have a huge dilemma between Pro Tools and Ableton Live
I'm just about to choose one between them and I just don't know
I'm a completely newbie
I'm going to create some stuff and record vocals
I've read that Pro Tools is good and intuitive when it comes to mixing etc
But oh , Ableton is all about creative space
Would Ableton make it work with recording vocals as well?

Will be very grateful for help

Hi. If I were you, I would demo both to see which one you like the best.
Today, most DAW's can do what is needed to make professional music.
It's down to workflow/preference, and at times collaborations (though that can be dealt with using wave files instead of project files).
I use Cakewalk/SONAR, Studio One 4 Pro and Mixbus 4.
All the best.

I agree, try them and see. There are other DAW that could be more to your liking. To add more 'huge' to your dilemma. lol

Reaper or Cubase could be what works for you. You just need to take the time to demo them and make your own decision.

I use Cubase because for me it is easy. But I started out with Cubase so it just stuck. Well, actually I started with Protools and hated it...

Pro Tools I think is a bit harder to grasp at the start. Not as intuitive especially when it comes to midi and software instruments. Ableton is easier to start music production right away, with good software instruments and MIDI capabilities. But as you said, Pro Tools is fantastic to mix with. But if you want to first and foremost produce music I would advice for Ableton.

(I've read that Pro Tools 12 is better music production-wise though, I'm still on Pro Tools 11.)

Assuming both can cover your requirements, in terms of capabilities and specifications, it's really just a matter of preference
and, unfortunately, no one can know what you'll prefer.

I know plenty of people who don't get on well with Protools and plenty of people who wouldn't be without it.
I've no doubt it's the same for any other DAW.

If you can get a trial version of either, or both, I'd strongly recommend it.

Can I ask, what narrowed it down to those two? You could try Reaper right now, for nothing ;)

Back