Pro Tools/Mac Pro/Thunderbolt Help!

Livingston139

I almost feel like giving up. I have ordered the new Mac Pro (due in February) with 12 gig of RAM, a quad core processor, and the new Thunderbolt. I am pretty set on using the new Pro Tools 11. I am looking for interfaces that take advantage of the new Thunderbolt, has built in pre amps for each channel, and that lets me record up to 16 channels at a time. I had looked at the MOTU 828x, which seems okay (only 2 pre amps). And if you hook up 2 of the MOTU 8pre's (8 channels with pre amps each) into the optical ports on the 828x I'm told u can only use four channels at a time if you record at a higher sample rate. Anyone else having problems or is this still just to new? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

This is nothing to do with Thunderbolt being new. This is an old limitation of adat optical technology.
8 channels at 48k or 4 channels at 96(smug) is the norm, regardless of data interface.

I recommend you record at 48k or look at something like the profire lightbridge.
Firewire is supported over thunderbolt with a simple adapter.

I really appreciate the input. I guess what I really need is some suggestions on what equipment I could use to take advange of the speed and technology of the new Mac Pros and Thunderbolt. Pretty set on using pro tools 11 and need to record a whole band at the same time (hoping for up to 16 simultaneously) preferably at 96k. I am finished with all the basic construction of the studio, and am left with a control desk ready to be filled lol. Thanks ahead of time.

Back