Pro Tools Latency Settings

rellinb

I have Pro Tools on a mac mini and a focusrite scarlett i18x8. I think I understand how to setup monitor mixes using the Focusrite control software. My understanding is that w/ that setup, monitoring will go into the scarlett interface and right back out - therefore no latency since it's not hitting the DAW.

IF that's correct, should I set Pro Tools to 1024 samples for the buffer size, have ignore errors checked, and cache size to normal?

Thanks for any guidance!

You are correct about the monitoring signal flow. The cache size usually only needs to be changed if you have high track counts as it determines how much of your session is loaded into RAM. If you have less RAM then you definitely don't want to do this. If you do have a lot of tracks and the requisite RAM then a setting of 1GB is usually sufficient. The ignore errors during playback box is normally NOT checked, especially using ASIO/Focusrite, since it tends to cause/allow clicks/pops. The buffer size of 1024 is actually pretty high, I tend to work at 256 or 512 but it depends on inserts, virtual instruments, etc. Easy enough to do a test run and start with the lowest buffer setting and work your way up to the most stable. If I am tracking with a VI or Amp sim I will mute tracks not needed and bring the buffer down to 128 or 64

Back