PreSonus Update destroyed Studio One

andrushkiwt

Great. Clicked the update button on the main Studio One page (figured, why not), installed it, restarted computer, opened program.... and the title page is waaaay off to the right side of the screen. Unscrollable as well. The left side of the screen was all black. The interface completely bugged out.

I was still able to open a song file, though I could not scroll and the bottom of the page cut off before the channel faders, so I can not even adjust anything on the channels. If I tried to click any options like "file" or "view", the text that appeared was glitching all over the screen.

Called PreSonus for help - nothing. Opened a post in their forums - nothing. I literally cannot access any of my files because of something they did (not me. It's not like I spilled water on something where it's obviously my fault) and they will not help me. I'm done with this company. Checking out ProTools.

- trying to figure out how to remove an update. I may have to completely uninstall S1 and then reinstall a "previous version" which I found the link for. I think I need to export the songs a particular way within the program itself (which involves me being able to navigate in it!!!) to be able to open the song files/projects within another program. I don't want to lose my work, obviously, so I'm being careful about deleting anything just yet.

Here's what a song page looks like right now:

Screenshot (19).png

That really does suck - sorry to hear that one. I just installed a Reaper update and it wiped all the channel settings in my audio driver.

Is it possible to run another update over this one, or you don't want to take the chance of further corruption?

Can you restore to an earlier point maybe?

a complete system restore? I mentioned that to an IT friend, he advised against it for some reason I can't recall.

Is there a way to delete recent updates for programs in windows? I have the option to install the version prior to this update (first version was 4.0.0, and I just downloaded and installed 4.0.1), but I'd have to probably completely erase Studio One altogether, I think. And I'm obviously worried that if I do that, I'd lose some aspect of the song files. For example, to open the tracks in another Studio One program, they require a specific file - can't remember what it's called, but it's regarding the "project" itself, like an identifying marker for the project/song, and without it, the song won't properly load.

maybe if I have the raw wav's, I can easily open them in, say, Pro Tools, or Reaper without that identifying file.

Give it a day. I bet they figure it out.

Jut in the last few days while working on a final mix, Melodyne keeps prompting me to do an update only for DAW's I don't use. Last time they did that projects would not open in correctly in Cubase.

Must be politically involved. lol!

For sure. I think I've learned to always create a restore point prior to any updates. I'm navigating now to see if I have a timed slot just prior to the update, and hopefully that would restore everything just fine. With my luck, I'll restore and then the same error will be there.

Maybe if I have the raw wav's, I can easily open them in, say, Pro Tools, or Reaper without that identifying file.

Yes.

I purposely keep on an SSD ALL my raw wav files. Anything done in reaper, protools, tape, etc. Anything and everything gets saved as WAV

What if a few years I can't use PT for whatever reason?. Still got the source.

Give it a day. I bet they figure it out.

Jut in the last few days while working on a final mix, Melodyne keeps prompting me to do an update only for DAW's I don't use. Last time they did that projects would not open in correctly in Cubase.

Must be politically involved. lol!

Melodyne has been acting really funny when opened from within Studio One. If I highlight the track and click "edit with melodyne", half the time the melodyne-presonus editor tab comes up but it also halfway cut off on the screen, to where you can't even use the pitch correction feature since it's not there. There's no buttons up top, when that happens, to expand the window or even close it. If I need to use it and that form of the editor comes up, I'm out of luck and need to shut down S1 and reopen. It works fine when I bounce the files and open them from Melodyne standalone, though.

Yes.

I purposely keep on an SSD ALL my raw wav files. Anything done in reaper, protools, tape, etc. Anything and everything gets saved as WAV

Because, like I said, they each have some type of DAW-specific file attached to the entire project for it to open, right? Like, if I just tried to copy and paste the entire song's folder, put it on a flash drive, then insert into another computer with the same DAW, it wouldn't open, correct? Just making sure I understand it correctly. That the DAW's have a particular file that identifies them as complete projects, as far as settings for fx within, like compressor settings...obviously those aren't written into wav's, but rather a specific file for those purposes..to recall fx, tempo, etc...

So, even if you had the wav's, you'd still have to redo all the fx and know the tempo...

[MENTION=191190]jkuehlin[/MENTION], any issues with the user interface/graphics display lately? Did you install the latest 4.0.1 update?

-SOLVED-

Christ, what a pain in the arse. I knew there had to be some kind of scaling/graphics issue, so I looked everywhere for how to edit that program's display settings. The option I needed was only found, just a minute ago, by:

right clicking Studio One icon on the taskbar, then, properties->compatibility->change high DPI settings->uncheck "override high DPI settings"-> apply.

Opened it up and bam back to normal!

So, even if you had the wav's, you'd still have to redo all the fx and know the tempo...

Shit. Forgot you do virtual drums
With me everything is a wav file. And I'm not wotking with any midi it's all real instruments.
But then again, I do simple organic music. Not too complicated. So losing settings, plugins, ect is no big deal.

Anyway I'm sure with a bit of effort your scene will get sorted.

Still sucks, I sympathise with you. I had a mess with PT that took a week to sort, drove me nuts. Lol :D

So I can understand your lack of fun right now. :)

Edit. Missed the post where you'd solved it.
:D
Congrats! Ignore any and all posts from me free of guilt or social graces. :D

Last edited:
Shit. Forgot you do virtual drums
With me everything is a wav file. And I'm not wotking with any midi it's all real instruments.
But then again, I do simple organic music. Not too complicated. So losing settings, plugins, ect is no big deal.

Ah, yeah. I need to worry about plugin settings being saved, MIDI drums carrying over, and tempo. So, in that case, there's usually some extra file with that info written into it, aside from the raw wav''s. No worries. Thanks dude

Yes.

Hope you keep a backup of the SSD. In the 90s, I had a hard drive and my 5 1/4" back up floppies stop working at the same time. Luckily, I was super careful at that point, and I also made back up 3 1/2" disks, which saved the day.

That really does suck - sorry to hear that one. I just installed a Reaper update and it wiped all the channel settings in my audio driver.

Is it possible to run another update over this one, or you don't want to take the chance of further corruption?

Spantiini, how often does Reaper screw up for you like this? A lot? Occasionally?

Hope you keep a backup of the SSD. In the 90s, I had a hard drive and my 5 1/4" back up floppies stop working at the same time. Luckily, I was super careful at that point, and I also made back up 3 1/2" disks, which saved the day.
Not only do I have a backup but I have raw vav files on flash drives. Storage being as cheap as it is nowadays, there's no reason not to.

Spantiini, how often does Reaper screw up for you like this? A lot? Occasionally?

Actually, this is the only negative experience I've had with Reaper. I've done many updates and they've all gone extremely well, and fast.

Considering my update history with Reaper, I think it's just a one-time deal. Rebooting the audio driver corrected the problem.

Wish I had seen your post earlier as I knew the source of your issue. Back in May when S4 was released, the selection for high dpi scaling was removed but they added it back in 4.1. For everyone who enjoys the large real estate with 1080p/4K monitors, the resolution needed to be tweaked due to disabling high dpi etc. Regardless, I went through the same issue but solved it the same day as I had seen the same thing occur with other software that uses high dpi. I saw the post below on the Presonus forums for S4:

Completed 4.1: Please bring back the option to disable the High DPI scaling - Questions & Answers | PreSonus

Completed 4.1: Please bring back the option to disable the High DPI scaling - Questions & Answers | PreSonus

Try 2nd link inside the quotes if 1st doesn’t work.

Glad you were able to get it sorted! Personally I love Studio One and never had any issues. S4 really bridged the gap with a ton more functionality as well as under the hood fixes towards performance etc.
Feel free to hit me up if you run into additional issues and will do my best to assist. :)

Last edited:
Back