Presonus Firestudio Mobile as Aggregate Device in PT9?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hi there,

I am currently using a Tascam US-1800 as my main interface/converter. I want better AD conversion and more line level inputs so I can use more analog outboard preamps so I am getting the Presonus Firestudio Mobile as it's specs and reviews seem quite favorable for improved AD and preamp quality over my Tascam US-1800.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the Presonus Firestudio Mobile can be set up as an Aggregate Device in Pro Tools 9 running on Mac OSX Snow Leopard. I would just hook it up as my main in/out in pro tools, however I still want to be able to use the inputs/outputs on the Tascam in addition to the firestudio mobile (simultaneously), but apparently Tascam will NOT work as an agg device in PT. So I was thinking I would keep the Tascam wired up how it currently is (whatever the standard way is), and then add the Firestudio mobile as an agg device and tell PT to use it for playback (and of course be able to choose any of it's inputs for recording).

Anyone know if this is doable? Seems simple enough.

Oh yeah, and...if I do that and all is working, will I now need to get an external word clock in order to make the two sync up properly when recording using inputs simultaneously from both units? Or would there still be a way to set the agg device (firestudio mobile) as the internal clock and slave the tascam to it?

Yes, the presonus firestudio mobile can be used in an aggregate device.
I think you're right though,

Unfortunately the way you describe wont work because ProTools will only let you choose the tascam or the aggregate device.

Maybe you'd be better taking stock of what you need and trying to get it from one interface?
What kind of I/O do you need?

I use a motu828 mk2 because it has 8 line inputs. There's also adat room for 8 more,
and I can add my mobile interface (using aggregate) if I'm stuck.

Yes, the presonus firestudio mobile can be used in an aggregate device.
I think you're right though,

Unfortunately the way you describe wont work because ProTools will only let you choose the tascam or the aggregate device.

Maybe you'd be better taking stock of what you need and trying to get it from one interface?
What kind of I/O do you need?

I use a motu828 mk2 because it has 8 line inputs. There's also adat room for 8 more,
and I can add my mobile interface (using aggregate) if I'm stuck.

Wow gees am I ever glad I didn't go with the Firestudio Mobile then! I figured screw trying to hodge podge some Frankenstein setup together?! haha So I just ordered an Echo Audiofire12. I think that should suit my needs! :)

Thanks for the input as always!

Back