Presonus Firepod/FP10 and Windows 10 Drivers

Creamyapples1

www.murphycabs.com
Does anyone have a real workaround to get their older Presonus Firepods and FP10s to work with Windows 10?

I've always been hesitant to upgrade from Windows XP because I wasn't sure how my Sonar Home Studio software would be impacted and didn't want to change anything. I finally decided to switch after finding out that Cakewalk/Bandlab was a free download. I never could have even fathomed that there wouldn't be drivers for Windows 10 for the early Firepods/FP10s but here we are.

Like Presonus honestly thinks if I'm forced to buy a new interface that it'll be a Presonus after that crap-move?

To be fair to Presonus, Firewire is becoming less and less common and the unit has been discontinued for some time.
That said, @gecko zzed posted a solution a while back.

You can find the info here. :)

I'd recommend taking a clone of your current working system and/or testing Windows 10 on a new or separate drive, just incase things don't work out.

great timing. I just inherited an FP10 and was wondering if the compatibility mode would work with Win10.

Thanks GZ!!! [MENTION=45599]gecko zzed[/MENTION]

I had seen your post; but it didn't really work for me. I can go through all of the steps, etc but at the end - once it's installed and it asks me to reconnect the unit and power it on the blue light comes on for a moment then back to red.

Firepod installation can be tricky if the process isn't exact.

If, for example, you have any Firepod drivers on there already, that can mess things up. Likewise, if you connect the firepod before installing the correct drivers it will not install properly.

I used the 32 bit drivers for the firepod, and that worked fine. They are here if you want them: Box

One other thing you can check is whether your firewire card is compatible with Presonus. I know Texas Instruments is ok, and VIA (which is what I have).

Also, if you did the installation, connected the FP10, and it flickered blue then went to red, did you try a reboot? I expect you did, but do it with the FP10 connected and on.

I've rebooted a trillion times, tried every possible combination of turned this on before that etc etc (i've been around awhile lol) I'm glad you mention the firewire thing though because I wouldn't have given that any consideration at all - that's my next rabbit hole. I appreciate the nudges in the right direction very much. Thank you!

Will report back with my findings.

Hi.
You possibly can find the drivers as described in this post:
also this has additional info. . .

This will allow the machine to recognize the firewire interface.
Install your FirePod driver and interface.
Note: Manually installing the drivers from an old version of windows works as well. . . although the microsoft download (from the 1st link) is simpler and easier.

I kept my old windows 7 machine to dedicate to a music studio. . . But I wanted a new machine, which could be used as backup. . .
I bought a lenovo with Thunderbolt 3. I had to buy a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt conversion dongle, then a firewire2 to Thunderbolt, cord, finally hooking it
up to the Firepod (fp10) with the firewire 1 cord. . . Then install the Thunderbolt 3 driver from Lenovo. . . Then install the legacy drivers. . .
A bit tedious, and a lot of steps, but you can look up the details on the internet if you're serious. . . (see above)
I like the FirePod, why should I have to buy a new hardware interface?
Works fine.
Running everything with a Studio One Pro setup. . .

Hi.
You possibly can find the drivers as described in this post:
also this has additional info. . .

This will allow the machine to recognize the firewire interface.
Install your FirePod driver and interface.
Note: Manually installing the drivers from an old version of windows works as well. . . although the microsoft download (from the 1st link) is simpler and easier.

I kept my old windows 7 machine to dedicate to a music studio. . . But I wanted a new machine, which could be used as backup. . .
I bought a lenovo with Thunderbolt 3. I had to buy a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt conversion dongle, then a firewire2 to Thunderbolt, cord, finally hooking it
up to the Firepod (fp10) with the firewire 1 cord. . . Then install the Thunderbolt 3 driver from Lenovo. . . Then install the legacy drivers. . .
A bit tedious, and a lot of steps, but you can look up the details on the internet if you're serious. . . (see above)
I like the FirePod, why should I have to buy a new hardware interface?
Works fine.
Running everything with a Studio One Pro setup. . .
I'm doing a similar thing currently, but running into an issue- for some reason, my PC hasn't registered that the firepod is connected? Additionally, when I plug it in, I get a message that says "USB or Thunderbolt device functionality limited." Any ideas about why this might be, or what could be causing it?

Last edited:
Back