Presonus 1818vsl or Focusrite 18i20

TęgiDzikiKutas

Hi,
I want to buy audio interface to record my drums and guitar, and I'm intrested in this two audio interfaces.
Presonus 1818vsl and Focusrite 18i20.
I want to listen drums in real time, record a covers and have some possibilities to edit and mixing my recordings.
I care about quality of records, software added to interface (include in price) and convenience of use.
Which is better for me in your opinion?
Yours,
Tęgi Dziki Kutas ;)

Not for sure how good the software will be when they are bundled. Usually the software is watered down. A friend purchased one of the Presonus and you had to upgrade to get MIDI support. I would focus on the interface and then look at something like Reaper or another DAW that meets your needs.

Both systems are fine, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the DAW. I imagine that their DAW software plugs in extra easy with their software, but it could lock you in to a not so great software.

Thanks DM60 for answer :)
I don't have any experience in home recording, but I must buy interface as fast as I can.

Ok, so if i don't look on the software which interface should I buy?
Which will be better for recording drums (8 mics) + guitar on the line imput?
I heard that the Focustire don't have the dsp, and i've read that the dsp is responsible for effects in real time effects.
So the most important thing is quality of sound and capability.
I want to have possibility to hook two pairs of headphones:)
I hope that this is not problem for You to understand my not very good English;)

Yours,
Tęgi Dziki Kutas

TęgiDzikiKutas;4504328 said:
Thanks DM60 for answer :)
I don't have any experience in home recording, but I must buy interface as fast as I can.

Ok, so if i don't look on the software which interface should I buy?
Which will be better for recording drums (8 mics) + guitar on the line imput?
I heard that the Focustire don't have the dsp, and i've read that the dsp is responsible for effects in real time effects.
So the most important thing is quality of sound and capability.
I want to have possibility to hook two pairs of headphones:)
I hope that this is not problem for You to understand my not very good English;)

Yours,
Tęgi Dziki Kutas

Most people I work with English is not their first language. My family on my wife's side English is not their native tongue. You will find here on this board, most everyone will work with you regardless of your English skills.

That said, how many mics are you going to put on the drums? A lot of people like one on kick, one on snare and two overheads. Others want to mic each piece. Also, will someone play drums and guitar at the same time? Eight should be enough, but make sure.

Both have Phantom Power for the 8 inputs and ADAT so they can be expanded. I would do a quick research to see which one will hold up (once again, I don't think you will find much difference). But I can honestly say, you can't go wrong with either one.

Wait another day or two for others to post. Just to get more opinions, but these two pieces are really very good and their prices are right in line with others. I use a TASCAM 1800, I have been very well served, but I think these are a notch higher quality than the 1800.

Neither of those exactly meet your requirements because by themselves they have 8 inputs for mic or line/Inst. you are asking for 9 total.

I’d get a lower level preamp with ADAT capability and add the 8 mic pres that way. Then get a separate headphone amp for up to 4 headphones plus more power, which you might need for the drummer tracking. Just my $.02

Back