Presonus 1810 acting weird

bluesfordan

The last week or so before I moved, I had been noticing more and more weirdness when I tried to use my Presonus 1810 with my Mac Mini late 2012 2.5 GHz i5 with 16 GB RAM running Safari 13.0.1 with Logic Pro X 10.4.8

I first noticed the odd sound when using the tuner in Logic Pro. The G string was the first spot where I heard the warbling, scratchy, sort of phasey kind of effect. I'd be running straight in dry no effects and I'd hear it. It didn't matter if I used speakers or headphones. If I used effects and amp sims I heard it. Then the B string started doing the same thing. It seemed as if it were growing continuously wider in scope. But I had a move pending and I had to pack everything up.

We've been in our new place almost a week and I was going crazy tonight for some guitar. My music room computer desk hutch was the one casualty of the move, but it was due to its massive weight and structural rigidity rivaling that of moist popcorn.

I had used the Mini to play tunes on my iTunes for nearly 5 hours the other night and it sounded fine, no distortion or warbling.

I set things up in a most primitive manner and had it running right away. I went to tune my guitar in the DAW and immediately that funky, weird noise emitted from my computer speaker. All 6 strings were affected. Shutting off the tuner didn't stop it. It rendered what could have been an inspiring moment into a moot one. The dissonance would come and go. At first everything would seem alright for about 20 minutes before it manifested itself again. Then it was every 10 minutes, then 5 and now it just ramps up and down almost like a sine wave.

I'm kind of bummed to say the least. First losing my desk, then finding the problem going direct wasn't better but worse.

I don't know if it's my Mac mini or the Presonus. I still have my Behringer Euphoria 404HD in storage. I may have to dig that out and give it another try. I suspect it might be the AI. Figures I bought it over a year ago so I no longer have any warranty coverage.

So with Presonus connected, is the weirdness present when you simply lay media through it? Or is it only present when you are inputting something?

just thought of something. it's input 1 which i use all the time, I mean every single time. I'll try the other inputs and see if they duplicate the issue

all right now. I tried input 2 and it seems to work fine. Now I don't know if it's the jack of input 1 or the electronics of the input.

on a side note, while recording a two track test project, the second track was doing fine and then in an apparent quiet spot (very low waveform at that moment) the meter jumped to -2.3 I set the level so my hardest strum maxed at -17.9 There is no way I could have had that loud a signal especially at a quiet spot. Any ideas of what to check out?

all right now. I tried input 2 and it seems to work fine. Now I don't know if it's the jack of input 1 or the electronics of the input.

on a side note, while recording a two track test project, the second track was doing fine and then in an apparent quiet spot (very low waveform at that moment) the meter jumped to -2.3 I set the level so my hardest strum maxed at -17.9 There is no way I could have had that loud a signal especially at a quiet spot. Any ideas of what to check out?

What was involved in your two track test project? You say strum, so did you have two mikes pointing at a guitar, or were you recording two separate tracks at different times ? More info is useful.

However, going on pure guesswork, my guess is that it is a mike picking up a breath of air.

What was involved in your two track test project? You say strum, so did you have two mikes pointing at a guitar, or were you recording two separate tracks at different times ? More info is useful.

However, going on pure guesswork, my guess is that it is a mike picking up a breath of air.

my bad, I was going direct, two separate tracks at different times. Going with mics is a luxury I don't have here. I doubt if I can even play acoustic guitar it might be too loud. Dang, what did I get myself into? I went from a two story single family home (which is being sold so I had to move) where I could play at night to my heart's content, not with amps but I could listen to playback over speakers, play along with speakers, etc. Oh, well, hopefully it's only for a year.

So electric guitar plugged into either input 1 or 2 of the interface. Input 1 is playing up, so you are going into input 2, right?

The spike could come from anywhere . . . a jiggle of the lead could do it. Has it happened again, or was it a once-off?

If it is happening often, post a recording of it so we can hear.

Last edited:
Back