Power question

Southwind 54

Hello, I'm very new to the recording process and am in the beginning stages of setting up my home studio.
My question is...is it safe to plug everything into my Furman power conditioner ?
Everything as in : computer, interface, speakers, eq. I guess I'm worried about wat will happen wen powering up, or powering down.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Everything but your computer should be fine. I would recommend a UPS unit for that. You do not want to shut off power to your PC abruptly.

I have my monitors (both audio and video), interface and preamps all shut down by my Furman power unit. Both of my PC's are run from a 'Uninterruptible Power Supply'. That not only keeps power regulated, but also allows the PC's to run when there is an outage. Computers do not like being shut down the hard way.

Very similar re what's on the UPS ..but I included the screen. ..Afraid I'd need to see' to shut it down. :)

Re normal powering up and down.. 'normal caution says- not that it has to be.. 'power amp on last.
..actually it's 'first off, last on', but making sure the monitor gains is down powering up and down works -probably regardless, as a good safety.

Actually, my monitor screens for my recording PC are also on the UPS power. They are always on. I shut down the PC when not in use. My office PC (the one I use for this reply) is the one that I shut down the monitors and all other gear with the Furman.

I have no issues with powering off my audio powered monitors/sub, preamps, Big Knob, and interfaces at the same time. The internet PC never goes to sleep. Knock on wood...Hence why I seem to be always online...

I have no issues with powering off my audio powered monitors/sub, preamps, Big Knob, and interfaces at the same time. The internet PC never goes to sleep. Knock on wood...Hence why I seem to be always online...
Yeah? ::> I just kind of default to assuming things like this could be a bit of a crap shoot, you know go either way as far as getting pop's and what have you.

I run everything from my UPS. The computer, one monitor and a network switch are on the battery backup bus, everything else is on the power conditioner bus.

As a side note; elsewhere in the house, the cable modem and the router run on a UPS as well. If we lose power, I won't lose internet right away.

From the safety (overload/fire hazard) point of view the current draw of a PC/screen/mixer/AI/monitors/Gamps plus FKsW is very low and unlikely to tax any decent mains diss' strip*. In any case you should always feed everything from one mains outlet in a "star" pattern to help against hum/ground/earth loops. All up I doubt you would be pulling a kW (5 amps here, 10 USA).

UPS? Great idea but also include a LAMP on the circuit! Hard to run a keyboard/mouse in the dark (that's even if you don't fall A over T getting to them in the dark. Learned this in the "Theaaata" during DBOs)

Pops and bangs when powering everything up together? Well don't then. Buy a set (usually 3) of wireless mains switches and power the monitors from those (but in the star) The switches default to off then you bang the juice off so you would have to power them up each time after the rest of the gear had stabilized.

*I am of course blessed with UK 230V (never is!) and our system is very "mature" and conservative. I have no direct experience of colonial power but know from much reading that it can be very variable in voltage and continuity around the country.

Dave.

Back