Please tell me I am an idiot!!! (Delta66 Question)

megamark16

Ok guys, I have been struggling with a problem for as long as I have owned my Delta 66 soundcard. Here is the scenario:

I have a Delta66, a small Behringer Mixer, some mics and headphones, a Behringer V-amp2, and some other misc gear. Just so you know what I'm working with.

Now the breakout box on my Delta66 has 4x inputs and 4x outputs, and lets say I plug my headphones into the channel 1 outputs. All I get is sound in my left ear. Channel 2 is right ear, and so I assumed that these are mono outputs and that I would have to get some kind of reverse splitter to connect the two in stereo so I can monitor directly from the soundcard without sending the output from the soundcard into a mixer and plugging my headphones into the mixer.

Up to this point I have been sending both channels into a mixer and plugging my headphones into the mixer, but since I only have one mixer, I can't monitor and record through the mixer without doing some fancy juggling with the tape-out/tape-in and such.

The other problem is that this is a family computer (my wife and I) and she gets very upset when she sits down and something doesn't work. So if I have the sound set up for recording using my Delta and I have it going through the mixer, she calls me and is a bit perturbed because she can't hear the sound out of the computer speakers.

So I got on the Midiman website and it said that the outputs are balanced/unbalanced, so that got me thinking and...

So my question, now that you all know my life story, is this: Are the 4 outputs on my Delta66 individually stereo and just panned left and right within the software by default? PLEASE SAY YES (and mean it) AND TELL ME I'M AN IDIOT!!!

Thanks in advance
Mark

Uh oh, I just did a bit more research and it looks like Balanced/Unbalanced has nothing to do with Stereo :(

So if I am indeed a fool for hoping that the outputs of my Delta66 were individually stereo, than can anyone tell me what you do personally with your setup in this situation?

Thanks
Mark

megamark16 said:
Uh oh, I just did a bit more research and it looks like Balanced/Unbalanced has nothing to do with Stereo :(

So if I am indeed a fool for hoping that the outputs of my Delta66 were individually stereo, than can anyone tell me what you do personally with your setup in this situation?

Thanks
Mark

I had a 66 and set it up as my main soundcard for the pc so all the computer sound go through it, then u can use your computer speakers as monitors and everybody is happy.

That is what I would like to do, but did you use a combination of cables to get it down to a single signal or did you run it through a mixer and than to your speakers?

Thanks
Mark

megamark16 said:
That is what I would like to do, but did you use a combination of cables to get it down to a single signal or did you run it through a mixer and than to your speakers?

Thanks
Mark
Used a mixer. I think i went out from the 66 to the tape ins on the mixer and the main mixer outs to 1 and 2 on the 66. U can either leave the mixer on all the time or teach ur wife how to turn it on.

If u want to eliminate the mixer all together get adapters and splitters from radio shack but ur sound will probably suffer.

Another option is to run outs 1 & 2 to your mixer, and from there to your computer monitors, and then get a 1/4" mono-stereo Y adapter and plug your phones into outs 3 & 4.

You just need to make sure the mixer is left on for your wife

I think one of the most confusing thing anyone ever did was make stereo plugs and jacks -- that one thing alone has caused more even confusion on this board than MIDI has...

The Delta outputs are mono line outs. They are grouped in pairs in the software - 1/2 L/R, 3/4 L/R. To get the stereo mix out of a DAW you would route the left side of your recording software stereo bus to 1/2 L, the other to 1/2 R, for example. Headphones are made to be connected to a stereo jack with a different output level. The Delta 66 has no headphone jack. Combining the remaining two outs is of little use since the line level signal is not the right level for 'phones.

Back