Please explain drum samples/machines and use of them.

Mongoo

Hi, I want to use either drum samples or a drum machine as a tracked metronome to keep my guitar, bass, and vocals together. Then later on I will throw in the real drums. This should work right? I mean in theory it seems right, but I haven't tested it out yet. Soon, oh so soon.

Anyways,

While browsing some musical gear, There seems to be three ways to go about artifical drum. You can use a drum machine, Drum Loops (like with acid), and a sampler?.. Is that what Akai's MPC machines are? How are these different than Drum Machines?

Since I only need a glorified metronome but at the same time might like my temporary mixes to sound somewhat right (with the temp drums), Maybe drum loops using acid is the way to go. That way I can pick out wav's that fit with individual riffs and just paint away. I am interested in what ever it is the MPC's do, but they are much too expensive for me at this stage in the game.

Problem is, I don't have any idea what the good or bad drum loop samples are. How much do the decent one's run for? I would think getting sample cd's off ebay or the like could be cheap with relativly little risk. I mean it's just data right? What Loops or samples do you recomend that are good enough to fill a Temp mix'es shoes without sounding like crap and are resonably priced?

Stylelisticly I guess a mix of Grunge/Rock/Folk/Latin/Punk/Funk is what I'm looking for.

For my goals listed above do you recommend going with a Drum Machine, Loops, or something else? Anything else you might want to say about this topic is welcome too.

Thanks for the help,

Mongoo

Back