Playing CD-R's

doogy

Hi guys just lately I have had nothing but trouble with skipping and sticking CD-R's of my original music.I tend to mainly use DVD players but I have got some CD players.I am using good quality memorex blanks and I have noticed that the discs will play in my pc.Has anyone any thoughts on this?

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but an audio CD recorded to a CD-R has a finite lifespan. Commercial, "stamped" CD's aren't nearly as prone to degrade. You need to have backup files of your work.

If you burn a data CD with .wav files on it, there's some degree of protection from having parity data included that can calculate and reconstruct missing data if and when (more than likely, when) the media becomes slightly corrupted. A data CD will not play in a normal CD player, and an audio CD-R doesn't have the parity data. As far as optical media, CD-R's are about the worst for degradation. DVD-R is a little better. An optical hard disk or SSD would be better for longer term storage, but might still be prone to failure.

If you have a CD-R that works well for up to 5 years, that's good.

Gotta have backups.

All those different media require slightly different optical gizmos (aka lasers) to read, and some older players simply don't have the ability to read anything but CR-ROMs. I suspect that media could be a problem, but there could be problems with the internal components of the players - I mean, light bulbs burn out eventually, too. And, there's always dust, so some cleaning attempts might improve things.

(Wikipedia says CR-Rs are good for 10 years, FWIW.)

For some reason DVDs and CDs burned on my Dell desktop (a 12 yr old jobbie) will not play in most of my CD and DVD players. If I burn the same disk on my old ASUS laptop, they play fine everywhere. It really weird. I have CDRs that are at least 10 years old and they still play. I also have DVDs that are fine after many years.

It may also depend on the type of dye that is used. Not all CDRs are created equal.

If your player is 'older', it may not have the sample rate speed to read CD-Rs burned at a faster sample rate. I found this out with my old (still working) CD player (1st generation consumer) as well as the CD player in an older vehicle. I was burning the CD-Rs at 16X, the home player would only read to 4X. The vehicle would only read to 8X. Reburned at slower rate and they CD-Rs played fine.

Back