pick an audio interface right for me (thunderbolt prefeably)

Richay13

preferably thunderbolt but mainly im looking to record an instrument (non phantom power) + mic (with phantom power), at the same time. I specify this because i know some interfaces, once you turn the phantom power on, it turns it on for all inputs. In terms of output, I'd like outputs for a studio monitor set (for playback) and a headphone jack (for recording). hope this is enough. thank you in advance.

preferably thunderbolt but mainly im looking to record an instrument (non phantom power) + mic (with phantom power), at the same time. I specify this because i know some interfaces, once you turn the phantom power on, it turns it on for all inputs. In terms of output, I'd like outputs for a studio monitor set (for playback) and a headphone jack (for recording). hope this is enough. thank you in advance.

Budget? Your basic needs could be met under $400. Well, unless you do have the need for thunderbolt... Which as far as I know is way more than anyone would need ever in regards to a recording interface for two tracks - or 32 for that matter. USB3 if fine for that track count with a decent PC.

Phantom power on for an input that doesn't require it is of no concern.

You will want to find an interface with multiple outputs so you can have separate monitor and headphone outs. Not just the L/R = headphone out = monitor out, but actual separate stereo outputs from DAW.

There are so many that will do that. Much of that may depend on the DAW you are using and the ability of your computer to handle it. Seems you have your criteria already set so just buy one! :)

I don't have any idea of what you already have, so my response is likely vague and uninspiring...

I would suggest a few that would be perfect for a PC, but I feel you are looking for a mac driven interface.

Best!

Wait, I just looked up your previous posts...

Didn't you build a PC? Where did Thunderbolt come into the equation?

Please elaborate on the system you have as well as your actual needs. I may be over-thinking, but you may be as well.

Cheers!

What the others say. Thunderbolt is a Mac thing, and there's Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3. There are very few Thunderbolt 3 interfaces and they tend to be on the very pricey end of the spectrum. Some Thunderbolt 2 ones are out there, but you need an adapter to use it with a Thunderbolt 3 port.

USB-C is more common and affordable, and is compatible with Thunderbolt 3. That's the route I went, and if you're actually on a PC, probably what you really mean. Note that USB-C does not necessarily mean USB 3.0, which is the really fast connection. It needs to be USB 3.x capable at both ends, physically, and also supported in the driver. It's very fast.

I have a Steinberg UR44-C. Seems darn quick when switched to USB 3 mode. (N.B. It is that it is not class compliant at USB 3.0, so you have to use the Yamaha/Steinberg driver on OS X.) At least one credible review shows that this line of interfaces is a bit noisier than others in the same range, but the ones currently in the same price band do not have USB 3.0 - or at least didn't a couple months back when I was shopping. I think supply of interfaces is still a bit squeezed, but getting on a waiting list seems to work.

One thing about USB C is that it *may* support higher voltage/amp output (Power Delivery). My UR44-C can run off the Thunderbolt 3 port on my iMac and supply phantom power to all 4 mic preamps. Most 4-channel/pre interfaces cannot run on USB power. (I had an older USB 2.0 M-Audio that could, but would shut off inputs 3 & 4.)

It's entirely possible OP has thunderbolt 3 on a new PC build.
Drop us a model number, [MENTION=200658]Richay13[/MENTION] ?

It would be worth confirming, though. The whole USB-C connector type and USB3.*/thunderbolt thing is a bit of a minefield.
You can even find interfaces with USB-C connector and USB 2.0 protocol so it's worth doing the research and asking around. :)

Back