Pcie express adapter 4xsata3 problem

I hooked up that pciexpress version 3.0 4xsata3 adapter and unfortunately it will only fit into the version 2.0 pcie slot. It works in the x16(wired 2.0) pcie slot in my dell optiplex9010 but i won't get the 3.0 version speed as i had planned.. I was wondering if anyone knows why it won't boot up from the pcie version 3.0 slot. The 3.0 slot is offset from the other 2.0 slot and the metal adaper support won't reach the chasis mount.I found out or am pretty sure that the adapter is half or @3 mbps. according to a diagnostic app. So how can i get the adapter to work in the other(3.0-pcie x16)adapter?
One other thing...does the brace or metal bracket on the adapter itself act as a ground and prevent it from working if it isn't attached to the chasis?

Can you post up a pic?

If it is offset, I'm thinking the card is not meant to fit in the slot.

Your black and blue slots are pci express.
Can't say if they're PCIE 2 or 3 but the user manual or specs online should tell you.

It's worth checking some proper documentation. Sometimes they run at X16 with one card installed then fall back to a pair of x4 or whatever if there are two cards.
It's not always straight forward.

The white one is PCI - Old school. Ignore that one.

As for booting from PCI-Express : Some boards support it and some don't.
That's another one for the manual, or maybe check the boot options in bios to see what's available.

Even if it's a Sata3 card operating at its best there's not really any point in figuring out how to make it boot.
As far as I remember your system was already booting from an on-board Sata 3 port anyway.

Last edited:
Your black and blue slots are pci express.
Can't say if they're PCIE 2 or 3 but the user manual or specs online should tell you.

It's worth checking some proper documentation. Sometimes they run at X16 with one card installed then fall back to a pair of x4 or whatever if there are two cards.
It's not always straight forward.

The white one is PCI - Old school. Ignore that one.

As for booting from PCI-Express : Some boards support it and some don't.
That's another one for the manual, or maybe check the boot options in bios to see what's available.

Even if it's a Sata3 card operating at its best there's not really any point in figuring out how to make it boot.
As far as I remember your system was already booting from an on-board Sata 3 port anyway.
I ran a test with a 3rd party app and after moving the adapter from black to blue slot it shows two ssd that are hooked up to the adapter running 6gbs that's proof that the speed increased and that the black socket is version 2.0 and the blue solot is 3.o and the other drive that's hooked up to the motherboard sata3 socket ads 3gbs. That i don't understand because the ssd is a sata3 @6 and the socket is sata3.

Sata 3 is capable of up to 600MB/s per lane.
Any given Sata 3 SSD may or may not actually be capable of those speeds. That just depends on the drive.

A PCI Express 3 slot with Sata 3 card will not bottleneck.
A PCI Express 2 slot with Sata 3 card will bottleneck to about 500MB/s per lane.

If you have an SSD with max speeds of 450-500 then then a PCI Express 2 bottleneck doesn't really matter.

I think, from your previous threads, your motherboard has two Sata3 ports on board?
Plug the new PCIExpress card into the blue slot and now you have 4*.

Keep the main system disc on the motherboard 1st Sata port, where it was, so it's bootable. No advantage to moving that.

* I'm saying 4, not 6, because usually those PCI cards 2X giving max throughput with two SSDs.
Using three, or four, splits the bandwidth between them.

Back